• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Finale 2006 playback question(s)

Share/Bookmark

Finale 2006 playback question(s)

I'm having trouble getting a certain sound. I have no idea what to call it: a fall? a pitchbend?
    anyways, it involves a flute and the sound bending down lightly at the end of a long held tone (barely a semi-tone).
    how can I achieve this in Finale from the notation file?

also
    is there a way to get a bend (up or down) that is sort of like a slur between two notes? this is in terms of a pretty close interval (minor or major 2nd).

and also:
    I really don't like the Ped. symbol with the huge * that marks a pedal up. I've read about using other symbols to do this, but somehow, can't get the piano to respond to those pedal markings. I'd like my pedal markings to be the horizontal lines with the little triangular bend to show the pedal up spots. I'm preparing a score with LOTS of pedalling in the piano part and using the default Ped. indication is just too sloppy.

Re: Finale 2006 playback question(s)

qccowboy,

In reverse order...

Alternative pedalling symbol - I have managed to edit the Pedal smart shape (control click on custon smart shape button) and made HP work with "ped" in arial, and the asterisk for pedal up replaced with any symbol.

With regards pitch bends/glisses, the smartshapes appear pretty useless (in my experiments anyway), but if you load the Jazz expression library, there are a selection of fall offs and smears that work quite well with HP - you will probably have to experiment with the different symbols to get closest to the effect you are looking for.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

so for piano pedalling no easy way to get HP to recognize traditional horizontal bracket-style pedal markings?

I'll try the jazz expressions, thanks.

Sorry - I should have typed "Jazz Articulation" library, not "Jazz Expression".

Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    Sorry - I should have typed "Jazz Articulation" library, not "Jazz Expression".

Richard, where do I find the Jazz Articulation library?

Thanks,

David.
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David: File -> load library

now, can someone tell me how to get horizontal line pedal marks that playback?

_________________________/\

sort of like the above

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    Yes, I know how to load libraries... but!

I have no such file, anywhere in Finale or Garritan directories, that I can see.

All are properly updated.

Rich, what's the exact name of the file, please?

Thanks,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David,

If you installed Finale to the default location:

C:\Program Files\Finale 2006\Libraries\Jazz Font\Articulations.LIB
    Richard N.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    David,

If you installed Finale to the default location:

C:\Program Files\Finale 2006\Libraries\Jazz Font\Articulations.LIB
    Thanks, Richard!

Jonathan Orwig also came to my rescue (not without duly tweaking me for being a moron... lol) and likewise pointed me to the right place in a recent email...

Thanks again!

David.
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy

now, can someone tell me how to get horizontal line pedal marks that playback?

_________________________/\

sort of like the above
    QC,

One thought that I had - why not use the default pedalling smartshape that plays back OK, and when you want to publish your score just edit that smartshape to look like you want which will change all instances of that smartshape in your score?
    Richard N.

Go Back to forum