• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Topic: Anyone using JABB in a "Jazz/Rock" Setting?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Anyone using JABB in a "Jazz/Rock" Setting?

    Hey all,

    I grew up playing in bands covering Chicago, BS&T, EW&F, etc, and it is a sound I just LOVE!

    I've written horn charts in the past, never more than one instance of an instrument, and usually limited to three or four voices, e.g. Trumpet/Trombone/Alto or Tenor/Bari Sax.

    So I've tried to sequence some of those parts in JABB, and I have to say, ain't no one gonna hear them anytime soon.

    I've even gone back and tried to sequence some old Chicago tunes to see if it was just my charts... but no joy (of course those sequences are based on my transcriptions, so they could be wrong to start with!)

    Is this something that JABB just is not intended to do, or do I need to spend a bit more time in the woodshed? Given the voices that come with the library I'm leaning towards the later, but I just don't know where to go from here...

    Thoughts? Anyone want to share a success story or two?

    Thanks,

    Bill

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    458

    Re: Anyone using JABB in a "Jazz/Rock" Setting?

    Quote Originally Posted by wst3ae
    Hey all,

    I grew up playing in bands covering Chicago, BS&T, EW&F, etc, and it is a sound I just LOVE!

    I've written horn charts in the past, never more than one instance of an instrument, and usually limited to three or four voices, e.g. Trumpet/Trombone/Alto or Tenor/Bari Sax.

    So I've tried to sequence some of those parts in JABB, and I have to say, ain't no one gonna hear them anytime soon.

    I've even gone back and tried to sequence some old Chicago tunes to see if it was just my charts... but no joy (of course those sequences are based on my transcriptions, so they could be wrong to start with!)

    Is this something that JABB just is not intended to do, or do I need to spend a bit more time in the woodshed? Given the voices that come with the library I'm leaning towards the later, but I just don't know where to go from here...

    Thoughts? Anyone want to share a success story or two?

    Thanks,

    Bill
    A lot of the Chicago tunes are available in 2 books as complete transcriptions, including brass, keys, guitars, drums, and sax.
    I'm not sure if that will help you or not....

    Keith Walls

  3. #3

    Re: Anyone using JABB in a "Jazz/Rock" Setting?

    hmmmm... that could be a real mixed blessing!!

    What if I discover that my transcription skills are poor???

    Oh no!!!!

    What the heck... do you know who publishes these books?

    Thanks,

    Bill

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona
    Posts
    4,044

    Re: Anyone using JABB in a "Jazz/Rock" Setting?

    One of the things you need to do is double the horns for Chicago and BS&T music as that's what they did. Another thing about the sound is tape saturation which is part of the brass sound. JABB is actually too clean! Also, the sound of the plate reverbs they used back in those days is a little tricky to duplicate.

    Jim

  5. #5

    Re: Anyone using JABB in a "Jazz/Rock" Setting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    One of the things you need to do is double the horns for Chicago and BS&T music as that's what they did. Another thing about the sound is tape saturation which is part of the brass sound. JABB is actually too clean! Also, the sound of the plate reverbs they used back in those days is a little tricky to duplicate.
    Hi Jim,

    I am aware of some of the studio "tricks" that affect the overall timbre of their early albums, including tape saturation and a real plate! I still use a 2" 16 track, and one of the more pleasant surprises was the sound of an eight piece brass section recorded with a stereo ribbon straight to tape. WOW!

    But I'm not sure that's what's missing... however, I'll spend a thoroughly enjoyable evening giving some old vinyl a good listen!!!

    The doubling intrigues me... I've listened to those albums hundreds of times, and I never picked up on that. I listened to a crappy MP3 of 25 or 6 to 4 just now, and it's there. Or at least I think it is...

    Thanks for the pointers!

    Bill

  6. #6

    Re: Anyone using JABB in a "Jazz/Rock" Setting?

    I've got to ask, as no one has yet - are you using the controllers cc1 (mod,) cc11 (expression,) cc64 (sustain) and attack velocity to control the sound of the horns? If you just play them flat in, like a piano or organ line, it will sound just like any 1980 sample lib. One-dimensional, flat and lifeless. The articulationsand variations provided by adding these controllers makes a huge difference, even if it's not especially well done. The difference is still night and day. Then get someone like DP Dan or Tom Hopkins to tweak the final controls, and voila- instant Chicago! OK,so you were doing a BST song, who cares? it still sounds great!
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

  7. #7

    Re: Anyone using JABB in a "Jazz/Rock" Setting?

    I've got to ask, as no one has yet - are you using the controllers cc1 (mod,) cc11 (expression,) cc64 (sustain) and attack velocity to control the sound of the horns?
    Soundsmith,

    How are you able to get expression cc11 to work in JABB? I've been trying, but the Kontakt player doesn't seem to recognize cc11.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    458

    Re: Anyone using JABB in a "Jazz/Rock" Setting?

    Quote Originally Posted by wst3ae
    hmmmm... that could be a real mixed blessing!!

    What if I discover that my transcription skills are poor???

    Oh no!!!!

    What the heck... do you know who publishes these books?

    Thanks,

    Bill
    Hal Leonard Publishes these: Chicago Transcribed Scores Volumes 1&2
    ISBNs: 0-7935-7064-6 and 0-7935-7066-2
    Beginnings, Lonliness is Just a Word, Make Me Smile, Now More Than Ever, Poem for the People, Questions 67 and 68, The Road, To Be Free, 25 or 6 to 4, Call on Me, Canon, Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?, Feelin' Stronger Every Day, Free, Just You 'N' Me, Man vs. Man: The End, No Tell Lover, Old Days, Once Upon A Time, Saturday In The Park, Searchin' So Long

    Keith Walls

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona
    Posts
    4,044

    Re: Anyone using JABB in a "Jazz/Rock" Setting?

    I have both of the Chicago books and they are quite accurate. I did find some mistakes Poem for the People in piano/organ part. It showed just organ but on the recording the piano continues to play. In the brass middle section it shows organ when it's actually the piano playing and also on the ending same thing. Also, there is one measure that has the wrong tenor sax part - it has a weird harmony written with the trumpet although on the recording they both play unison. The drum and bass parts are pretty accurate including the wrong note that Peter Cetera plays at one point!

    Jim

  10. #10

    Re: Anyone using JABB in a "Jazz/Rock" Setting?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston
    Soundsmith,

    How are you able to get expression cc11 to work in JABB? I've been trying, but the Kontakt player doesn't seem to recognize cc11.
    My bad - wrong lib. But the interplay between velocity, sustain and note overlap is significant for articulation, and cc1 gives you timbre and intensity. Without dynamic change, the phrases are lifeless.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •