• Register
  • Help

Topic: Server or PC

Share/Bookmark

Server or PC

Hello,

I want to buy a dedicated computer for a VST rack farm. should I go with a server or a regular PC? Seems like you get more bang for your buck by getting a server, which can than be installed with an existing copy of XP (after acquring that side license).

Any suggestions either way?

thanks,

MK

Re: Server or PC

The differences can be a bit nebulous. What will your server have that your "regular" pc won't have?

fizbin

Usually louder fans in multiple quantities! If you don't have a separate machine room, you don't want a server. You can get 10K or 15K RPM SCSI disk and put it in your DAW with the nice quiet power supply (Enermax Noisetaker works for me) and low speed fans.

Quote Originally Posted by pantonality
    Usually louder fans in multiple quantities! If you don't have a separate machine room, you don't want a server. You can get 10K or 15K RPM SCSI disk and put it in your DAW with the nice quiet power supply (Enermax Noisetaker works for me) and low speed fans.
    This might seem a little over the top, but I am really happy with the result.

We built our studio system on an MSI dual Athlon K7D Master-L server motherboard, that requires among other things buffered (registered) DDR - not cheap, but it has *great* performance. We got around the loud fans by water cooling everything (including four hard drives comprising two RAID 0 arrays) and removing the radiator to the next room through plastic pipes that go through the wall.

Talk about quiet.

Go Back to forum