• Register
  • Help
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Topic: Online Course: GARRITAN INTERACTIVE PRINCIPLES OF ORCHESTRATION by Rimsky-Korsakov

Share/Bookmark

Re: Online Course Coming: GARRITAN REVISED PRINCIPLES OF ORCHESTRATION by Rimsky-Kors

Gary,

Please let me reiterate what Jim touched on above:

If you could somehow do something similar to this for Jazz horn and woodwind writing, that would be of enormous use to me. (Even moreso than this R-K study.) Many thanks!

Re: Online Course Coming: GARRITAN REVISED PRINCIPLES OF ORCHESTRATION by Rimsky-Kors

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman
    Gary,

Please let me reiterate what Jim touched on above:

If you could somehow do something similar to this for Jazz horn and woodwind writing, that would be of enormous use to me. (Even moreso than this R-K study.) Many thanks!
    Ditto that. Of course the Gary Lindsay course mentioned earlier would be terrific I've also been working through David Baker's "Arranging and Composing for the Small Ensemble: Jazz, R & B, Jazz Rock" http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/088...lance&n=283155 I don't have JABB yet, but think this would be very complimentary to the Lindsay book.

But I very much look forward to putting in the time on the R-K study. It's been a few years since I took Orchestration and this will be a great jump start to getting back into it seriously. Thanks again, Gary.

Jon

Re: Online Course Coming: GARRITAN REVISED PRINCIPLES OF ORCHESTRATION by Rimsky-Korsakov

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Gary:

What could be done is to show on the LEFT HAND SIDE of the orchestration how many notes UP or DOWN (+) or (-) the reader will have to visualize in order to understand what NOTES (PITCHES) the instrument is REALLY playing (sounding). Just an idea for those that have no idea what a Bb instrument, etc. is really playing.........

Jack
    Though a good idea, it would be very time consuming most likely as Rk has over 275 examples not to mention even more in the next chapters dealing with choirs and whatnot.

People will eventually "have" to learn this so why not start at the beginning? Charts can be made rather simply of transposing instruments. This is part orchestration and the knowledge of it. I hope I do not sound blunt as that is not my intention.
    Robert Davis

Re: Online Course Coming: GARRITAN REVISED PRINCIPLES OF ORCHESTRATION by Rimsky-Korsakov

Quote Originally Posted by ALynn
    As amazing as this is, and as wonderful a tool it will be for many people, I can't help but fulfill my civic duty as a horn player and thus point out that the R-K Principles are somewhat outdated in many respects, especially in regards to brass technique.

As much as I enjoy listening to R-K's music, he never was very fond of the horn for whatever reason and often neglected it entirely. Must have been some sub-par hornists in Russia in his heyday.

Perhaps a disclaimer could be issued: "Warning: G. Mahler and R. Strauss would disagree with much of Nikolai's opinions on this instrument."

Kidding aside, I vote for the thumbnails to open in a new window. My browser is wanting to play all of the examples on the page at the same time in the newest version you posted with the embeded scores. It's like "An American (namely Charles Ives) in St. Petersburg" on PC...

I wouldnt say neglected. Having poored thru example by example and rendering them in sonar he uses the brass family alot, F horns especially, however most of the time as a texture in the harmony and less so in a melodic role. Maybe just a personal preference of RK himself? Who knows, but he does employ brass alot, just not in the same fashion.
    Robert Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan

EDIT: I posted the full flash scores but deleted them since some browsers caused all the examples to play at once resulting in a cacophony and causing seizures.We'll try to correct it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Let's try this again. Do all four flash files play at once? If so can you let me know your browswer? If this doens't work we'll go with Plan A with the pop-up thumbnail scores.
    OK - Not working in all browsers. Back to Plan A.

All 4 play at once in my browser, but not the first time I visited the page, only if I revisit the page later. IE Explorer 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519CO

Hope that is helpful.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jcbryson1
    All 4 play at once in my browser, but not the first time I visited the page, only if I revisit the page later. IE Explorer 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519CO
    Hmmm.... this is happening to me too. Also, after I clear my Temporary Internet Files they will be paused at start again. Perhaps this is the root of the problem? When the flash files are loaded from the end-user's Temporary Internet Files folder, they automatically begin playing?

Strange stuff...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Gary:

I'm with Sean. All playing at once with Internet Explorer (v. 6, 2900.2). The thumbnails worked perfectly. Hope this helps.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 25.5, DORICO 1.2.10, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.51, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Gary:

I'm with Sean. All playing at once with Internet Explorer (v. 6, 2900.2). The thumbnails worked perfectly. Hope this helps.

Jack
    OK - Not working in all browsers. Back to Plan A.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Hmmm.... this is happening to me too. Also, after I clear my Temporary Internet Files they will be paused at start again. Perhaps this is the root of the problem? When the flash files are loaded from the end-user's Temporary Internet Files folder, they automatically begin playing?

Strange stuff...
    My guess is you need to pick up the initial onload event and throw a .stop() on everything in sight... so the instant the .swf tells the Flash object interpreter it is there, it halts everything.

Sean, if you would like to send me the files for a couple of these, I'd be happy to take a look, see if I can spot it. No guarantees... but hey, I might get lucky... lol.

I have ulterior motives, of course. I'd far rather see these inline in the pages than in popups... easier to follow that way, overall, I think -- not to mention the practical problem of dealing with the ubiquitous popup blockers.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast