• Register
  • Help
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 916171819

Topic: Online Course: GARRITAN INTERACTIVE PRINCIPLES OF ORCHESTRATION by Rimsky-Korsakov

Share/Bookmark

Re: Online Course: GARRITAN INTERACTIVE PRINCIPLES OF ORCHESTRATION by Rimsky-Korsako

I am going to work through this - it looks great. I worked through Walter Piston's book at college rather more years ago than I like to remember, so this will be a wonderful refresher. While here, I also want to say an enormous thank you to Garry for what he has done - putting a symphony orchestra at my fingertips on my own PC! I use GPO4 with Don Williams's Overture 4 - also superb. I cannot thank these wonderful gentlemen enough - 40 years ago this was beyond my wildest dreams.

Alan

Re: Online Course: GARRITAN INTERACTIVE PRINCIPLES OF ORCHESTRATION by Rimsky-Korsako

Just joined the community and forum - I've bought the Garritan World Instrument package, but haven't used it yet. I'm 64, male, living in rural Colorado USA whose dream is to compose American Bel Canto operas that pick up where the great Italian Bel Canto composers (1816 - 1853) left off - that is, using a nice eclectic blend of all the music since their time up to today (including the Chillout music in World music) to create strong, powerful operas that remain true to the spirit and quality of the best of those Italian Bel Canto operas. And you know what? I already have my basic music created - I come from my own music, entering into their sphere. I'm redefining where I need to redefine, and learning how they did it, where I want to keep going with what they did.

Thus. This particular project is of great interest to me. While my general taste in music stops with 1853, heh heh, I do have a love and appreciation for what the Russian composers around the time of Glinka and Rimsky-Korsakov were doing. I think they bring some brightness and sparkle into the orchestral fabric of sound that I would like to use, for myself.

So here I am. Chomping at the bit, ready to go!!!! woo-hoo!!!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by KeevinD View Post
    Just joined the community and forum - I've bought the Garritan World Instrument package, but haven't used it yet. I'm 64, male, living in rural Colorado USA whose dream is to compose American Bel Canto operas...
    Welcome to the Forum, Keevin - And Thank You for the really interesting introduction!

When Gary Garritan first developed GPO, it was with people like you in mind - creative musicians who wanted an affordable, good sounding set of tools to help them compose. I wish Gary could see your message - he would love it and be cheering you on as you delve into the fantastic project you've described.

Hope you make visiting the Forum part of your daily routine. And I invite you to listen to music posted by the members in The Listening Room - Use the Forum navigation jump, and look under the listing of General Discussion where we are right now. Don't confuse The Listening Room with The Listening Area which is also at Northern Sounds, but isn't part of the Garritan group of Forums.

Hope to see you again soon!

Randy

Randy (or anyone) - it seems that the embedded links within the Principles of Orchestration On-line lessons are not working - they display PAGE NOT FOUND below a window that looks like it contains the top of a GARRITON web site.
    Am I missing something here? Or should I proceed with the lessons and forget about the embedded videos/music/samples.
    Thank you in advance,
    Stevan
    PS - I'm using Firefox as my web browser - could that have something to do with it?
    PPS - I had posted a similar issue yesterday with the links contained in Tom's Pipe Organ Timbre Variations Tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevan Makarevich View Post
    Randy (or anyone) - it seems that the embedded links within the Principles of Orchestration On-line lessons are not working...
    That's correct, Stevan - The links are temporarily down. When Make Music ported pages to their site, the links were accidentally broken, they're aware of the problem, and are wanting to get them back to working ASAP. Sorry.

Randy

Thanks so much for the reply, Randy - I look forward to the links being restored.

If you like me have been frustrated over the lacking sound examples in the Rimsky-korsakow course, you could try this :
    Click on "Forum" close to the Northern Sounds sign on top of this page.

Then go down to the "Education" department a little further down, and choose
    "Principles of Orchestration online",

There you will find that the sounding examples are there in all their glory... ( at least most of them, I did not check them all. Number 204 was there, I did not go further

Oyvind

Quote Originally Posted by Oyvind View Post
    ...choose
    "Principles of Orchestration online", there you will find that the sounding examples are there in all their glory...
    Right, Oyvind - That's the Forum we're talking about. The scores which play back as you watch are back up, and that's great, but the videos aren't working yet.

Randy

i this online course still available ?
    imac G5
    17 inch screen
    1.6 ghz processsor
    OSX 10.4.8
    Titanium Powerbook 1 Ghz
    Dp 5.1
    Stylus RMX 1.5
    Reason 3
    Live 5
    GPO
    PC with Gigasampler

www.shadsongs.com

Quote Originally Posted by tomshad View Post
    i this online course still available ?
    Looks alive and well to me.

Richard

Go Back to forum
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 916171819