• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT. VSL & SAM piece

Share/Bookmark

OT. VSL & SAM piece

Hi everyone,
    Long time no post

Well, crit away on this current wip. Mostly VSL pro edition, except the brass which is Project Sam.

http://www.digital-animosity.com/Jam...0Theme21_2.mp3

Cheers,
    James

Thumbs up Re: OT. VSL & SAM piece

Nice work, especially nice balance in the mix. I really liked the space, and the tone of the SAM stuff really sounded good. I enjoyed the use of the brass fx also, it was used very musically imo, with good results. I'd very much like to hear the music continue to develope.

What were you doing for verb if I may ask? The presence and staging was really well done.

Re: OT. VSL & SAM piece

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGraybill
    Nice work, especially nice balance in the mix. I really liked the space, and the tone of the SAM stuff really sounded good. I enjoyed the use of the brass fx also, it was used very musically imo, with good results. I'd very much like to hear the music continue to develope.

What were you doing for verb if I may ask? The presence and staging was really well done.
    Thanks
    I used Gigapulse (the reverb that comes with gigastudio 3)
    I'll post the finished piece for sure. The final needs to be 2 minutes long.

ps... my first proper scoring gig!
    ps2. Smiley overload!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesmcwilliams
    ps... my first proper scoring gig!
    Grats on the gig! I really do like the sound, and the composition is fun.

I use a couple of GS3 comps, and stopped using GP recently as I wasn't happy with the halls - even with lots of experimentation. I took a plunge and got IR1 and am trying some new approaches, mostly because of the larger variety of impulses. I still think GS3 sounds better, the tails are excellent. So I was wondering how many instances you used, or if it was a single instance setup. Which hall were you using if it was a preset? That sort of stuff.

In a blind taste test I just picked the verb I was using (gp) over the verb I just bought (ir-1.) Maybe I need to go back to experimenting with it again.

Thanks, and gw on the music!

Hey Jimmy

That's pretty good. What do think of SAM Trumpets compared to VSL's?

I used the large hall instance, and it's only one instance that is fed through the aux to all the other channels, I simply pan the instruments in the sequencer as normal. I don't bother with placing seperate instances in gigapulse itself as I like to keep the processor stress free (I work on one PC for everything). But I find that I don't really need to use anymore instances of reverb anyway. When I get home tonight I'll post the gigastudio file here with the reverb setup if that is any help. I don't use templates though, for each new track I always just do the reverb on the fly as I add new instruments.

Paul, thanks I find that SAM trumpets are better for fanfares than the VSL trumpets, infact I prefer the tone of the sam trumpets in general. However, the perf instruments for the VSL trumpets are great for solo's. But in general you cannot go wrong with VSL and SAM combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesmcwilliams
    Paul, thanks I find that SAM trumpets are better for fanfares than the VSL trumpets, infact I prefer the tone of the sam trumpets in general. However, the perf instruments for the VSL trumpets are great for solo's. But in general you cannot go wrong with VSL and SAM combined.
    So what you're saying is - if SAM Trumpets had say, K2 scripting for legato and repetition - they'd be really good?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    So what you're saying is - if SAM Trumpets had say, K2 scripting for legato and repetition - they'd be really good?
    hehe, ... I'm sure scripting would be handy but personally I think they work great even without scripting. From my humble experience with midi mockups almost any library can sound great if you play it well. I realise now that in the past I used to blame my libraries for the any lack of realism I encountered, but now I'm finding that you can get some great results with old libraries without any scripting or performance tools as long as you play them correctly. The sam brass has a really nice tone I find.

Go Back to forum