• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Budget Orchestra?

Share/Bookmark

The Budget Orchestra?

Where can one find a budget orchestra? I know that you can hire the Budapest and Prague, but I was having some issues finding their rates. I also wanted to know if there were any other orxhestras that were on the cheaper side.

I basically am looking for a live orchesta, (around 35 pieces or more), and then I will layer the acoustic with samples. I will also be posting this around on other places as well to try to get a rounded answer.

Thanks,
    Sean Beeson

Re: The Budget Orchestra?

Here's an article by Gary garittan that may interest you http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_real_thing/index.html

hope that helps.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Beeson
    Where can one find a budget orchestra? I know that you can hire the Budapest and Prague, but I was having some issues finding their rates. I also wanted to know if there were any other orxhestras that were on the cheaper side.

I basically am looking for a live orchesta, (around 35 pieces or more), and then I will layer the acoustic with samples. I will also be posting this around on other places as well to try to get a rounded answer.

Thanks,
    Sean Beeson
    The other direction you might try to go, if you hadn't considered it, is to create your sampled work with the idea of using overdub sessions where needed. Not knowing the situation, this might not work for you, but if you are interested, I could elaborate on how I've approached it.

My situation being that I am needing some live orchestral music for an upcoming project. Their budget is relatively low for the music, but then again I only need a few minutes of music live. The opening theme and one other piece of music is all I need.

So like 3-4 minutes of music. I have very little recording resources at my studio. I lack the microphones, mixing console, the room, everything

I am not even looking for a large ensemble, because in the end, I will be adding samples anyway.

In the end, I am attempting to satisfy two needs. One for me to have a live orchestral score, and to have a live score for the project I am working with.

The other biggest problem is that I would like to be able to just pay an orchestra, hand them the music, and let them practice and record the piece. I know orchestras like this exist, jsut can't find them.

Sean

My situation being that I am needing some live orchestral music for an upcoming project. Their budget is relatively low for the music, but then again I only need a few minutes of music live. The opening theme and one other piece of music is all I need.
    Sean,
    I could recommend some orchestras in Eastern Europe that are quick, easy to work with and relatively affordable. (Thanks for the link Geronimo). There is one particular conductor I work with who is very good. With the popularity of Eastern European orchestras, and the falling US dollar, these orchestras are not as much the bargain they once were. US players have also been reducing their rates in an effort to get some more work.

A 35 piece orchestra is a small one, and 3-4 minutes of music is not very much, so you have more options. It may be affordable to put together your own orchestra. Bruce's suggestion of overdubb sessions may work well in this situation, depending on the complexity of the score. Scoring for MIDI and for real orchestra can be two different animals and difficult (see Hummie's interview and the experience we had with MIDI-itis the Competition with the Morivian Philharmonic). Depending on where you are located there may be some very good University or Community orchestras what may be able to do such a project.

Whatever you decide it is going to be an enjoyable learning experience.

Good luck.

Gary Garritan

Thanks Gary,
    I am out of Columbus Ohio, which although there are some strong orchestras in Ohio, I have found the pricing to be slightly steep.

I had heard from a few fellows that there are places where I could get 3-4 or 5 minutes of music recorded by a 35 piece orchestra for like 1200-1500$.

Also, I had looked into organizing my own orchestra for this project, but the resources around here are costly and have very strict schedules.

Sean

Thanks Gary,
    I am out of Columbus Ohio, which although there are some strong orchestras in Ohio, I have found the pricing to be slightly steep.

I had heard from a few fellows that there are places where I could get 3-4 or 5 minutes of music recorded by a 35 piece orchestra for like 1200-1500$.

Also, I had looked into organizing my own orchestra for this project, but the resources around here are costly and have very strict schedules.

Sean
    Sean,

Usually for something like 3-4 minutes you can often piggy back the session onto another more extensive recording session. Sometimes an orchestrator/director would book time with an orchestra, they would finish early and still have time left with the orchestra. It's done all the time and you need to know the right people who record often with orchestras in order to piggy back. Perhaps you can also ask an orchestra if they have any recording sessions where you can squeeze a 3-4 minute piece in.

Bruce's suggestion is a good one, especially on a budget. Perhaps supplementing just the strings with samples can reduce the amount of players needed.

A budget of $1,200 to $1,500 comes to $34 to $42 per player for an hour (which should be enough to do a 3-4 minute piece). A 35 piece orchestra is not very big and you should be able to put together your own orchestra. You should be able to put together an orchestra in Ohio for that amount. Try going to the universities and ask who the best graduate student players are. It may be a good gig for them and you may get the sound you are after.

Gary Garritan

Thanks Gary,

Sean
    Sean:

With Ohio State University right there, I bet you could put together a great orchestra with students. One problem may be a place to record

Peace

rikp

Cool. I will be looking for someone to piggy back on ! Also, if I could record more music for 1500$, I would do it as well !

Sean

Well, that is kind of the issue. Finding a place to record, finding an engineer, finding time to rehearse, finding a conductor

There are some nice halls in Columbus, but their rates are expensive.

Thanks,
    Sean

Go Back to forum