• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Stravinsky, an extraordinary composer...

Share/Bookmark

Stravinsky, an extraordinary composer...

Here is the link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/discover...oarchive.shtml

Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring - Part 1
    Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring - Part 2

SergeD

Re: Stravinsky, an extraordinary composer...

Thanks for the links: just for the record the BBC has got the "Part 1 & Part 2" the wrong way round.

Not that that detracts from the music, of course...

Thats a great resource Serge. Thanks for the reminder.

On the same Radio 3 web site, Stage and Screen have smaller archive of their programs. It mostly focuses in stage music, but when they do do "screen", they are very interesting.

For all the grumbling about the license fee, the BBC really is a "jewel in the crown".
    www.naxosradio.com
    VSL Symphonic Cube, PLAY Gold, Project SAM, Altiverb, US2400, Cubase 4

Did you see the production (approx 3 weeks ago) on BBC 2 "Riot at the Rite"?
    That was truly excellent.

Yes, I saw that. Very funny that so many people laid claim to be the true originators of its originality. It was amazing that the audience behaved in such a way too ... mind you, some classical crowds still do.
    www.naxosradio.com
    VSL Symphonic Cube, PLAY Gold, Project SAM, Altiverb, US2400, Cubase 4

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Buchan
    It was amazing that the audience behaved in such a way too ... mind you, some classical crowds still do.
    Man, I wish more of them would. Going to classical ensemble concerts these days makes me feel as if I'm attending funerals.

Quote Originally Posted by johnamriding
    Did you see the production (approx 3 weeks ago) on BBC 2 "Riot at the Rite"?
    That was truly excellent.
    I hope they'll rerun it!

There was a Stravinky festival last week in Manhattan. It was reported to be wonderfully eclectic, including a Belly Dancer interpretation of the Rite. Wow!

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/21/ar...=1&oref=slogin

If this link does not work, try the NY Times website and search for an article by Anthony Tommasini "Stravinsky as a Crowd Pleaser? Who Knew?". It appeared in the March 21st paper.

Marko

Stravinsky was actually bit chagrined by his early works (the three famous ballets: Sacre, Firebird and Petrushka) and troubled being identified almost exclusively with them. There was more Mozart in him then anything else as testified by his middle (Neo-Classic) period which contains the main of his output. His opera The Rakes Progress is a wonder of bent Mozart that is utterly masterful and infused with Igor's sensebility. Then there's the Mozartean Symphony in C (echoed in The Magnificent Seven score: as is Sacre.) The extremely hip Symphony in Three Movements and the glorious Symphony of Psalms (a huge influence on film particularly Jerry Goldsmith.)

I think the heart of the composer is closer to these works, as wonderful, colorful and brilliant as his early works are.

Quote Originally Posted by dpc
    Stravinsky was actually bit chagrined by his early works (the three famous ballets: Sacre, Firebird and Petrushka) and troubled being identified almost exclusively with them. There was more Mozart in him then anything else as testified by his middle (Neo-Classic) period which contains the main of his output. His opera The Rakes Progress is a wonder of bent Mozart that is utterly masterful and infused with Igor's sensebility. Then there's the Mozartean Symphony in C (echoed in The Magnificent Seven score: as is Sacre.) The extremely hip Symphony in Three Movements and the glorious Symphony of Psalms (a huge influence on film particularly Jerry Goldsmith.)

I think the heart of the composer is closer to these works, as wonderful, colorful and brilliant as his early works are.
    Well, it's probably not easy for a composer to have the Rite, Firebird and Petrushka in his C.V. Thanks God it's not my case

And yes thanks to BBC which gives us a tool to learn how a work, among others, may be constructed. It's refreshing to have a perspective over the nuts and bolts. It's like this case here where Stravinsky reused the background of folkloric music to reinterpret a pagan ritual.

It's not only a musical performance it's also an intellectual proccess to achieve a specific goal. How to create this effect ? Which instruments to use ? How should be combined and orchestrated those instruments?

Hum, just realize that I have the Stravinsky-ite since many years...

SergeD

Go Back to forum