• Register
  • Help

Topic: how to simulate a sound coming from behind to front... ???

Share/Bookmark

how to simulate a sound coming from behind to front... ???

I need to simulate a spaceship sound flying to screen from behind my back....
    any clues how can I obtain such effect with stereo setup ???

Re: how to simulate a sound coming from behind to front... ???

try Soundhacks Binaural plug ..

it's very cool

http://www.soundhack.com/shapers.php

The binaural things are usually highly dependent of the quality of the listening environment and place where the listener sits in relation to the speakers and even with perfect conditions they don't work so well. I would do a sound that comes closer, if the spaceship isn't shown on the screen people will assume that it's coming from behind. The movement can be simulated with automation so that in the beginning the sound is quiet, has very little bass and is narrow in the stereo field. In the end the sound is of course wide, full and loud. Make it centered in the stereo field. If it's panned it will most likely feel like the spaceship is coming from the front left / right even if there is no spaceship on the screen. And spaceships tend to come straight from behind, they don't come from rear left or rear right, right?

yah, i'd do an eq thing and a stereo thing. start off with a mono signal, as space ship gets closer, slowly split your stereo signal left and right until you have full stereo once space ship is on picture. Similarly, at the start, trim off the high frequencies and have them open slowly. As spaceship comes on picture, have the high frequencies just reaching their fully opened up zone. And throw in a little new engine whir at the same time so that you know you are close and getting more audio information.

you know, cuz that's how sound works in space, right??

I use Wavearts Panorama. Within headphones, you can place stuff anywhere you can imagine. Speaker mode works pretty well too but to me, no 3d works as well with speakers (unless you're doing surround panning).

Wavearts used to have a helicopter demo on their site that flies from behind you right through your head (or something like that).

If you buy Panorama, be sure you use it as an insert on a stereo track..even if the stereo track is a mono signal...or it doesn't work. That took me about a week to figure out last year when I first started using it.

Another important aspect of such movement is Dopler effect. The pitch of the sound is different depending on distance. A car aproaching on high speed for example.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by metrobot
    you know, cuz that's how sound works in space, right??
    Haha. Yeah, we'd all be out of a job if people had any idea...

Go Back to forum