• Register
  • Help

Topic: Memory tweaks??

Share/Bookmark

Question Memory tweaks??

Is it still necessary to do the 3Gb memory tweaks in windows XP when using GIGA3 or is it just the same as the memory preset in the troubleshoot section? Do you guys still do it?

Thanks!

Re: Memory tweaks??

1. Definitely don't add the 3GB switch on your GS3 system.

2. It's not the same as the memory presets in Memory Configuration Utility.

3. Yes, you still want to do the memory tweaks on your GS3 machine.

/Mattias

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias Henningson
    1. Definitely don't add the 3GB switch on your GS3 system.

2. It's not the same as the memory presets in Memory Configuration Utility.

3. Yes, you still want to do the memory tweaks on your GS3 machine.

/Mattias
    Thanks for answering Mattias but I'm a bit confuse, the 3 GB switch is not the same as the memory tweaks? is that right?

O.K. it's not the same thing. So is this what you are talking about here?
    http://www.vsl.co.at/en-us/69/128/33.vsl

So this is what i have to do:
    PagedPoolSize:64
    NonPagedPoolSize :64
    PagedPoolQuota:64
    NonPagedPoolQuota:64

Will this tweak work with Cubas, Samplitude, Kontack,ect?...

It looks like you're the one who found this tweak, and that you've of great help for this community. So thanks you for that.

geronimo,
    Read thru the ENTIRE thread ( it's a long one !) and take a look at some of the numbers that folks have used ....Mattias has numbers that work well for HIS computer ....I have numbers that work for mine that are different from Mattias' numbers ... We have all tried various numbers to come up with what works best for our individual computers ....It's basically trial and error ...It takes a while to find the numbers that work for your computer, but once you do, you will have SO much more memory to load samples...It's by far the BEST tweak out there IMHO , and thanks to Mattias , we have it !!.... ......Jim

Quote Originally Posted by synthnut
    geronimo,
    Read thru the ENTIRE thread ( it's a long one !) and take a look at some of the numbers that folks have used ....Mattias has numbers that work well for HIS computer ....I have numbers that work for mine that are different from Mattias' numbers ... We have all tried various numbers to come up with what works best for our individual computers ....It's basically trial and error ...It takes a while to find the numbers that work for your computer, but once you do, you will have SO much more memory to load samples...It's by far the BEST tweak out there IMHO , and thanks to Mattias , we have it !!.... ......Jim
    Thanks synthnut, i read the 2 first pages and then got lazy but i will follow your advise and go true it cause it's definitely worth it.

Thanks!

Right, the memory tweaks is not the same as adding the 3GB switch. Some more info:

GigaStudio: Definitely use the "memory tweak" if you need to maximum the load. To apply it use the memory configuration utility in GS3 or my GigaStudio Memory Load maximizer utility found here http://www.musikbanken.se/gigastudio. There you also will find a summary of the huge thread... They both contain presets but they are not equal so you may want to try them both out if you experience problems.

Kontakt, VI, etc (VST samplers): The 3GB switch can help IF your VST host application is coded to be LargeAddressAware AND you have more than 2GB of memory. A tip would be to read my sticky post "VI and memory configuration" in the Vienna Instruments forum on the VSL site. There are more details there.

/Mattias

Thanks for the load maximizer tip Mattias, i kind of forgot about that one,..and I'll reed that thread as soon as my headache is gone.

Going back to bed.

Does anybody know how to "uninstall" whatever GS Memory Load Optimizer does? I am actually getting LESS memory capacity in GS after using GSMLO than before using it.

I have a WinXP system with 3 GB RAM running Giga 3.12. With this config, I could only load samples until Giga's memory meter read about 66%. With GSMLO, however, I have found no settings that will allow me to load any more than 56%. But now I can't seem to go back to life before I used GSMLO -- I'm maxed at 56% no matter what I do.

How can I undo whatever GSMLO did?

Quote Originally Posted by RealJethro
    How can I undo whatever GSMLO did?
    I just sent you an email, but for reference...just press the "revert to default settings" in GSMLO and you'll get the default XP settings back.

/Mattias

Go Back to forum