• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question re Converting Giga to EXS

Share/Bookmark

Question re Converting Giga to EXS

I've made the jump from PT LE to Logic which will arrive this week.

I have a few libraries, mainly Nick's Rare Instruments, Perfect Drums, and maybe a couple more sitting in Giga on a PC. I am wondering how tough any of these libraries will be to convert to Logic's EXS sampler. I'm really a dummy about converting, so if any of it requires extensive editing I'm probably out of luck.

Just wondering what you guys who have experience with this suggest as a converting program, or if EXS can do it automatically, etc.

Thanks
    Tom H
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

Re: Question re Converting Giga to EXS

EXS will handle the conversions for you and it is a rather painless process. The only situation which might require editing is if the original program names are long. Logic has a limitation of 31(?) characters and will just ignore anything over that. In this situation you simply have to rename the files. FYI there is and EXS users group at yahoo.
    JP

A simple conversion is quick, but any kind of velocity crossfades or controller crossfades don't convert well in my experience. I also recall that keyswitches were not translated, but this is from memory now.

You could possibly try using Chicken Systems Translator as an alternative, but their Mac platform development seems to be on hold- they have a new Mac product in this line announced but not released.

Logic's own extraction of samples from the .gig and sample mapping is quick and simple though. If you don't want the samples filling up your system partion -that's where Logic puts them- you can easily put them somewhere else, but then exs24 will have to search for them the first time you open the instrument. That's because the exs Instrument is simply a list of sample references, basically. Using the Project Manager for a complete scan of your drives, or -much better and way faster! Redmatica's ExsManager - will rewrite the sample references in the exs instrument for you. I really recommend ExsManager.

The Sonik Matter forum is a great place for finding out about exs24 (the Soft Instruments forum) and Logic in general.

HTH

Nigel

Thanks guys for the info. Will check out the Sonic Matter area...

TH
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

i ,recently , had problems converting a .gig file with keyswitching to EXS format. There was an issue with velocity zones with the wrong samples etc etc..

That was with the EXS conversion built in.
    Maybe CDxtract does a better job??

Yves

Go Back to forum