• Register
  • Help

Topic: Looking for a jazz/swing drum brush sample.

Share/Bookmark

Looking for a jazz/swing drum brush sample.

It's maddening... i've got several synths... loaded with countless drum sections to choose from, and not a single damn Brush sound..!!

I'd rather not buy an entire drum cd just for one sample...

Is there a website that offers free drum samples/wav files?... i've been to a few, but still cannot locate one.

... or perhaps someone here has one they're not using?

anybody?

thanks in advance

~jeff

Re: Looking for a jazz/swing drum brush sample.

Hi from a Canadian who leave in Canada and can not afford Florida-traitor

Seriously, I'm not a reference when it come to drums but if you are looking for a serious drum kit you have to have a look at Imperial drums from Scarbee. It has got to be the most complete drum lib. all together, it has deferent brush i think, and with cymbal brush hit too i heard is rare, 30 GB of samples i think, it's-BIG! It's definitely my favorite and this one should last you a looong time cause it's so complete and detail...Anyone with me on this one?..

DFH Costume & Vintage is another one i like a lot, and it's in the same price range.

It has a jazz kit or 2, a very good seventy's kit and other genre...but these process so you don't have freedom as you would have with Imperial drums witch has a clean version and some with compressions etc.(not sure exactly).

Yellow Tools has a jazz kit in there Pure Drums series witch is an older product.

And if you're on a budget, i heard Sonic Implants has a good jazz kit for download at $25 i think.

Make sure you listen to Imperial Drums and be aware that you may not be as impress with the demos as DFH Vintage because the Imperial demos are clean(pure) with nothing on it so you can process later, so keep that in mind and make sure you read the info on their websit.http://www.scarbee.com/products/virtual_inst.php this is the link for the VI version witch is VST .(Now i have to get this )

P.S. Again, I'm not a drum expert but i don't think i can be that far out. get a second opinion on this and let me know what you think.

O.K. I miss read your post-it's late- i got to go to bed , forget my first post expert Sonic Implants download at $25(not sure) and there is also Wizoo that has a cheap download jazz kit.

Hope that helps.

Jeff,

Not sure if there is one sample that would do it. Brush stirs are not an easy thing and to my knowledge only JABB has the ability to do playable stirs. This means that the brush stirs can be programmed at any given tempo and this tempo information can be later modified at will.

With JABB you can do both left and right hand stirs and "stir the soup". This demo illustrates this unique feature.

http://www.garritan.com/Jazz/JazzMp3...umKit_Demo.mp3

The same MIDI data is repeated 3 times. The first time is at a medium tempo. The second time is at a slower tempo but leads to an accelerando near the end of this section. The third time is at a fast tempo. Note that the stirs follow all of the tempo changes.

You may want to check out Tom's Brush Stir tutorial:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=40276

Quote Originally Posted by jsp2
    It's maddening... i've got several synths... loaded with countless drum sections to choose from, and not a single damn Brush sound..!!
    Hmm... I'll have to check my drum sample libraries to see what's got brush sounds. I've been so used to just using my Yamaha RY-30 with the PCM cards. I think it's the Erskine card that has brushes on it...

Is there a website that offers free drum samples/wav files?...
    This may not be a quick answer, but there is a large list of sample sites at:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37272

Quote Originally Posted by jsp2
    Is there a website that offers free drum samples/wav files?... i've been to a few, but still cannot locate one.
    I have some brush stirs/hits available for free at: http://www.herman-witkam.com/raw/

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Not sure if there is one sample that would do it. Brush stirs are not an easy thing and to my knowledge only JABB has the ability to do playable stirs. This means that the brush stirs can be programmed at any given tempo and this tempo information can be later modified at will.

This demo illustrates this unusual feature.
    Oh no!!! Must...control...charge...card... Don't make me spend again!!! Dang, what to get first - the Stradivari or JABB... ARGH, the dilemma!

And I still haven't gotten over being called Maestro in my GOS package... Blush...

Besides the brush kit JABB has 2 very nice full kits. These guys have a very natural sound versus the close miked sound of Drumkit from Hell Superior. The programming from velocity layer to layer is very smooth. Plus you get a whole bunch of other samples that are very playable.

Jim

I've heard nothing but good things about JABB's drums.

If cash is an issue, get the SI brush kit mentioned above - as well as Herman's free downloads. I've gotten some compliments regarding the SI drums in a couple of things that I've done. It's not an extensive kit, but will get the job done.

-JF

wow... thanks for the replies..

Actually, i grew impatient and followed geronimo010's advice (thanks!) earlier today, and bought a simple one at SI for around $20.00.

JABB?.... i'd love to get it.... but sadly, I've been on a tight budget these days. I have plans on that purchase one day soon, I hope.

Thanks for all the links too!

I'll check them out

~jeff

Go Back to forum