• Register
  • Help

Topic: Using RAID 1 for two Giga systems: reasonable?

Share/Bookmark

Using RAID 1 for two Giga systems: reasonable?

Hi folks,

I've got two Giga PCs which I'd like to access, essentially, the same sample data. I'd also like them to be able to share .gsi and related files.

I was wondering if it would make sense to put their data in a RAID 1 array. Based about what I know, it seems that this should theoretically allow two machines to simultaneously access the same data at the same speed, and not require any manual syncing of files. Essentially, the same data access speed as two drives, but without the double-data-maintenance headaches.

Does that sound right? And has anyone done this in practice?

Inquiringly yours,

Mike

Re: Using RAID 1 for two Giga systems: reasonable?

No. Raid 1 has nothing to do with filesharing.

First, do some homework on filesharing, then do some homework on raid. They are totally unrelated.

Your questions:

1. can I attach network storage to my system and will it work?
    2. if yes, then what kind of network storage is best.

You need to answer question #1 before #2 is considered.

FYI, RAID 1 is a mirrored array. That is, all data is written to 2 or more drives. It is the "R" of raid (redundant). Raid 0 is a "stripe" in that it shares data bewteen 2 or more drives... this increases throughput (but there's no redundancy). The optimal RAID is RAID 5 -- which has the best of both worlds, it is redundant, fast and quite expensive to implement. I not sure that any audio system is certified to work with RAID5.

Do your homework.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyroberts
    No. Raid 1 has nothing to do with filesharing.

1. can I attach network storage to my system and will it work?
    2. if yes, then what kind of network storage is best.
    Do your homework.
    My question actually was: given that RAID 1 uses a redundant second drive to mirror data, whether this could enable two machines to effectively access the same data in parallel, one machine to each drive. This isn't an unreasonable question, nor one that's answered in commonly available data, and I don't think the patronizing tone of your response is appropriate.

You know, Mike, I tried to be helpful. I gave you a link. I explained why a RAID 1 wouldn't work -- and what you need to learn to make it work for you... nothing condescending about it...

"Do your homework" also applies to using google, and reading the specs of the software that you use. it also means learn a little about the terminology you are using.

RAID 1 is SIMPLY a protocol for hooking up multiple hard drives in a REDUNDANT array. It writes the same exact data to 2 or more drives.. if one drive fails, the raid still works and your data is secure. A raid controller is sometims on a mobo, but more often, a pci card or built into an enclosure. It connects to a single computer (until you get into network storage)

It has NOTHING to do with file sharing between machines.

I pointed you in the right direction -- solve your networking issue first, then worry about storage.

Can giga read data from a netowrked drive? Of course, it's just data. Will that data be read fast enough for giga to perform well -- it can, if you spend lots of money on NAS devices. However, without spending serious money, you won't be able to get the throughput you need to make giga happy.

You will be better off (performance wise) with each giga machine having its own raid 0, and for performance files, write them anywhere you want on your network... it doesn't matter.

before you dig into network storage, you should worry about a backup and/or server solution. this will be your first step into network storage, and you will learn that it's much more complicated and there are many more variables than simply connecting an ethernet cable.

My research into this tells me you will spend $6,000 - $8,000 for a relatively fast server with about a terrabyte of storage, but your throughput will not really be fast enough for giga to perform well, until you get into a Fibre Channel solution.

If you need giga to give you 400+ voices, you need a local solution, per computer -- or you can spend stupid money to do it on the network.

You may want to learn about NAS or Fibre Channel -- there are many vendors doing this, but it's all enterprise sized or larger...

I'm sorry to intrude Jeremy, but I'm curious to know how much voices you get from your PC? Did you max it yet?

I'm asking because I've chosen to go with multiple PC(stupid money ) , the idea was to have access to more memory for bigger templats...I'm just curious to see what I'm missing performence wise...

Do you have any clicks and pops when using SISS? Any problem with SI in general?...

Thanks!

Go Back to forum