• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: ram 1.65 gb limit - with 3 gb installed -please help!

Share/Bookmark

ram 1.65 gb limit - with 3 gb installed -please help!

hi people,

I'm quite desperate because I can't continue working on an orchstral demo which I have promised to deliver. although I have bought 3 gbs of ram ...after 1.65 gb kontakt stops loading and windows xp complains about running out of memory.

is there a way to expand this limit?

or is it true that windows allows no more memory usage?

I would be very pleased about any kind of advice

thanks in advance

Re: ram 1.65 gb limit - with 3 gb installed -please help!

Capture your tracks to audio, free up some RAM and do more tracks. You won't get much more than 1.65 GB.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by GigaLove
    hi people,

I'm quite desperate because I can't continue working on an orchstral demo which I have promised to deliver. although I have bought 3 gbs of ram ...after 1.65 gb kontakt stops loading and windows xp complains about running out of memory.

is there a way to expand this limit?

or is it true that windows allows no more memory usage?

I would be very pleased about any kind of advice

thanks in advance
    Installing the 3gig switch may well get you another 2.5Gb, but unless K2 is LAA then you won't get more.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    Installing the 3gig switch may well get you another 2.5Gb, but unless K2 is LAA then you won't get more.

D
    ...ouch...sorry what do you mean with "laa" (perhaps the german leckmich a.a.?)

....is it a k2 problem then?? does k2 have a ram loading limit?

now i understand: laa = largeaddressaware. so kontakt is not able to cope with more than.....how much gb? 2gb? cause my limit was about 1.65-1.70....

If you install the switch you could get up to 1.9GB even with K2 not being LAA. However, I believe that you can run multiple instances of K2, (do a search on this forum) so that could theoretically get you to around 2.7Gb loaded.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    If you install the switch you could get up to 1.9GB even with K2 not being LAA. However, I believe that you can run multiple instances of K2, (do a search on this forum) so that could theoretically get you to around 2.7Gb loaded.

D

could you please explain what you mean with that "switch"?

thanks a lot

yes on the 2 instances of contact!

the 3gig switch is hit and miss.

the issue will all vsti (Giga, Kontakt, Halion etc) is the generally dont use
    more than 2-2.5g

there are various tweaks here and there but what works for giga dont work for kontakt etc.

even though none will access 4gig and windows technically only can see 3800m users with 4gig have more stability and a few more samples than those with less.

Scott
    ADK

Quote Originally Posted by Jcschild
    yes on the 2 instances of contact!

the 3gig switch is hit and miss.

the issue will all vsti (Giga, Kontakt, Halion etc) is the generally dont use
    more than 2-2.5g

there are various tweaks here and there but what works for giga dont work for kontakt etc.

even though none will access 4gig and windows technically only can see 3800m users with 4gig have more stability and a few more samples than those with less.

Scott
    ADK
    Yes and no. GS3 doesn't work properly with the switch because (I think) it uses kernel memory. Without the switch I can use up to 1.5(ish) Mb, with the switch it is down to about 200Mb (including the application).

I'll be testing K2 with the switch some time over the next few weeks, but I would have thought that you'd need multiple instances to get above 1.9Gb.

FWIW I have a stable system loading 2.7Gb and I can load up to 2.85 without problems (using FX-Teleport and Vienna VI).

D

Hi,
    correct on GS3, i was talking about the tweaks for GS3 that we had to use prior to Giga adding them. (still hit and miss there too)

i still use some of the older tricks and have got above 2gig. but never more than 2.3-2.4
    i would have to dig up some emails from Dave G to see what his last trick was.

and when you use that tweak it adversly effects K2 or halion.

Scott
    ADK

Recent versions of Windows support a switch option in BOOT.INI called the /3GB switch, which adjusts the way memory is allocated between the user and the operating system. By default, the split is fifty-fifty -- up to two gigabytes for the user and two for the operating system. The /3GB switch option sets those limits at three gigs maximum for the user and one gig for the operating system.

As the name implies, /3GB was originally meant to be used in systems that have 3 GB or more of RAM -- something that is no longer quite as rare as it used to be! However, even if you don't have 3 GB or more of memory, you can still use the /3GB switch successfully if you are running memory-hungry desktop applications. Photoshop, for instance, is infamous for staking out as much RAM as it can. With /3GB enabled, there's that much more memory that the application can use.

I've written previously about using the /3GB switch in both Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2003 Server environments to bolster performance of memory-intensive services such as Exchange Server and SQL Server. But, in a desktop environment, you should consider any use of /3GB to be provisional until you determine that the application set you're using plays nicely with it. (My usual rule of thumb for seeing if something holds up under stress is to try it for two weeks under varied conditions; if it doesn't crash, it's probably okay.
    To add the /3GB switch as a separate boot option:
    In My Computer | Properties | Advanced | Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
    Click the Edit button under System Startup to edit the BOOT.INI file.
    Find the current boot entry, which typically looks like this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    Copy this line and paste it at the end of the BOOT.INI file, and change it along these lines:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional 3GB Switch" /fastdetect /3GB
    This lets you choose between a conventional boot entry and the /3GB boot entry. If something goes wrong when you use /3GB, you can always boot back into the original configuration.
    Save and close BOOT.INI.
    Click OK to close the Startup and Recovery panel.
    Click Settings again, and in the "Default operating systems:" dropdown, choose the newly created boot entry with the /3GB switch.
    Click OK to close everything. Reboot into the new profile.

Hope This helps.

Go Back to forum