• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS3 weirdness

Share/Bookmark

GS3 weirdness, I'm going nuts

Hi!

I purchased GS 3 Orch. this christmas (running 3.12), and ever since the install there has been strange things going on. I'll get right to the main issues:

First of all, GS abruptly closes down every FIRST time I open it up after a computer reboot. The Quicksound database starts to load, then suddenly it jumps out of the loading sequence, or whatever, and I have to restart the program. It always works the second time. (Might have something to do with the quicksound database maybe?)

Secondly, if GS crashes while rewired (which is a more than common event) I always get stuck in rewire mode (to Cubase SX3); if I try to close SX3 after a GS crash it says that "GS is still running, close down GS first...etc"...so I have to "ctrl+alt+del force" SX to close, which makes GS believe it is still in Rewire mode the next time I start it..and thus, I get no sound at all. With or without SX running.

Complicated...I hope I haven't lost you.

All this re-booting and crashing is, mildly put, extremely frustrating; takes every trace of creativeness away!

Any help appreciated!
    Best regards
    /Daniel Beckman

Re: GS3 weirdness

I would try reinstalling GS3. Something might've corrupted the installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Witkam
    I would try reinstalling GS3. Something might've corrupted the installation.
    Been there, done that...didn't help much
    Sorry if I didn't mention that..(and a lot of other heart breaking facts, too many to make the post at least a tad interesting )
    Thanks anyway!
    /Daniel B

Re: GS3 weirdness, I'm going nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Eldhrimnir
    Hi!

I purchased GS 3 Orch. this christmas (running 3.12), and ever since the install there has been strange things going on. I'll get right to the main issues:

Secondly, if GS crashes while rewired (which is a more than common event) I always get stuck in rewire mode (to Cubase SX3); if I try to close SX3 after a GS crash it says that "GS is still running, close down GS first...etc"...so I have to "ctrl+alt+del force" SX to close, which makes GS believe it is still in Rewire mode the next time I start it..and thus, I get no sound at all. With or without SX running.
    Don't just "ctrl+alt+del force" SX to close -- also do it with Giga.

When you "ctrl+alt+del," try right-clicking on msg32.exe and selecting "End Process Tree."

If that doesn't also close crypkey.dll (I think that's what it's called) and whatever other processes launched by GS3, try ending them as well... and then go ahead and force SX3 down. . . .

. . . at least, that's what seems to work for me.....

Alan

Try manually deleting the QS database from the registry using RegEdit and then completely rebuilding the Database with only the necessary directories enabled in the Quicksound prefrences.

I have found that a corrupt QS database can cause similar app crashes.

As far as the rewire problem goes, make sure that the sampling rate and depth match in your DAW, GS3, and in your hardware...I would also suggest a large buffer of 1024 or higher.

hope this helps.

In GigaStudio Settings (just hit F2) go to the Quicksound tab and make sure that "Monitor File Activity" is disabled. I don't know that it's the culprit, but it causes problems for many.

-JF

Re: GS3 weirdness, I'm going nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Eldhrimnir
    I'd say, don't use GS in rewire mod : get the VST adapter from FX-MAX. You will be able to use GS like a VST, it works great (on one machine also, even if it's a little bit sensible to other applications running the same time)

Good luck!

Go Back to forum