• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help with Looping VSL samples

Share/Bookmark

Help with Looping VSL samples

I'm needing to loop some of the VSL samples in Opus 1 (the perf leg violons), and I'm having a hard time getting good results. I'm using Sound Forge to do the looping, but no matter how nearly perfect my end/start points are, I continue to get a pop -- everytime. And crossfading doesn't help because rather than a pop, I get an almost more noticeable attenutation. I've taken the samples down to mono and still I can't get a loop without artifacts. Arhggg!

Sound Forge's crossfade seems very rudimentary, but I don't know how it is in other programs. I used to be able to loop on an Akai s5000 and make perfect loops in sustain samples -- mostly by using its very good crossfade.

Anyone have any tips for looping/crossfading in Sound Forge? Or other programs?

Thanks,
    Mahlon

Re: Help with Looping VSL samples

How long is the loop region? If it's decent size, I can't imagine you would have much trouble looping a string section. If they are really short, maybe it won't matter so much in the context of an arrangement, and you can fade in a regular sustain for very long notes.

Some years ago, I had a composer in my studio how wanted to record real strings for a TV-score.
    The plan was to record 4 violin players and double them 4 times.
    We had very long notes. Some about 30 sec. The musicians had a click 80bpm.
    BUT: Every 2 bars the players switched all together from down- to upstroke.
    This was the worst loop I've ever heard.
    My composer was happy with that, "Thats live" he said, but it hurt my ears.
    So, when he was gone in the evening, I sampled the strings and spend the night
    looping the first two bars in INFINITY (still Mac OS9 only) and played the whole thing again with that sample.

http://www.antarestech.com/products/infinity.shtml
    It's worth to get it together with your neighbours old and forgotten G3.

By the way, I looped all the Chris Hein - Horns loops with INFINITY.

Chris Hein
    Chris Hein - Horns / Chris Hein - Guitars / Chris Hein - Bass
    http://www.chrishein.net

That's an humorous story... most string players who have worked in ensembles will stagger bowing changes without even thinking about it.

Thanks for the replies. The loop region is maybe 2.25 seconds. The problem is not in getting consistent amplitude or tone between the end/start point of the loop (the samples are pretty even, as is), but it's the pop I get at the loop point that I can't seem to get rid of, and I can't seem to get crossfading to do much good. At least as I'm doing it now.

Mahlon

I can't imagine why you would have a pop unless the timbre drastically changed. You are using the loop tuner in soundforge right? Heck it doesn't even matter for section samples, you pretty much have to use crossfading at the loop point. Can you post a tiny mp3 sample of your loop point?

When I'm back in the studio, I'll post a sample or two.

Thanks for the help.

Mahlon

I dont use soundforge anymore, and never used it for looping when I did.

Wavelab has much better tools for this.

However, if you are getting a slight attenuation austment, you are probably using a linear crossfade, try using an exponential/amplitude adjusted fade. This might get rid of the bump, and remember you dont have to Xfade the whole loop, just the near end.

good luck

you also might wnt to try "seamless Looper" a fantastic tool if you're taking on the challenge of looping all the VSL performance sustains.
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Thanks rgames and KinkIdiot. One of the problems is the crossfader in Sound Forge. There is no option other than linear. I've had better luck that I'm taking them to mono, which I wanted to do anyway. If I find the loop points that give me only a slight high frequency click (rather than a low one), it seems to work better, as the 'click' is more transparent than the lower freq. 'pop'. I will definitely check out Seamless Looper.

Thanks again,
    Mahlon

Another vote for Seamless Looper.

www.beatcreator.com

Delivers outstanding results, and a steal at $40.

Go Back to forum