• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Maybe one day...

Share/Bookmark

Maybe one day...

...we can have our DAWs and all samplers/plugins in one powerful system.

I mean the the SunFire E25k server scales up to 72 processors with 144 threads and up to 576 GB memory, and can have up to 72 integrated, high-bandwidth PCI slots. If the software was written for this system, it could theortically do it today. Imagine being able to load up 72 plugins - each having their own processor dedicated to them. And then having over 100x the ram available today to run your samples from!

Sure, I know a system like this costs a million bucks, and this is all just a completely unrealistic daydream. Then again, I remember upgrading my original pc memory from 64k to 128k for 400$ - now I can get a gig stick for under $50 (Order of magnitude = 1600 x 8 = 12800 times! - divide a million by that and it's not so much ). So just maybe... one day in the distant or not too distant future?

*POOF* - - - regaining consciousness...

Re: Maybe one day...

Are you Daniel Moy?
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

In my opinion we have sufficient technology right now. The problem is that computers aren't designed for sample libraries and so on. They are designed as a one-size-fits-all device. You could make purpose-built hardware with incredible amounts of ram, multiple processors, and a dedicated glitch-free OS, but the investment would far outweigh the return you would get (think of the demand and hence sell price of a hardware synth vs. a computer that everyone in the world buys), so we're stuck with the bog standard PC for now.

Hmm....
    Audio configured CRAY would be nice......

Audio enhanced Linux inside, running GPOA...

WOW!!!
    -Dani-

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage59
    Audio configured CRAY would be nice......
    IIRC, it was Seymour who designed the first generation (E10000) of that big Sun box...

Quote Originally Posted by damoy
    ...we can have our DAWs and all samplers/plugins in one powerful system.

I mean the the SunFire E25k server scales up to 72 processors with 144 threads and up to 576 GB memory, and can have up to 72 integrated, high-bandwidth PCI slots. If the software was written for this system, it could theortically do it today. Imagine being able to load up 72 plugins - each having their own processor dedicated to them. And then having over 100x the ram available today to run your samples from!

Sure, I know a system like this costs a million bucks, and this is all just a completely unrealistic daydream. Then again, I remember upgrading my original pc memory from 64k to 128k for 400$ - now I can get a gig stick for under $50 (Order of magnitude = 1600 x 8 = 12800 times! - divide a million by that and it's not so much ). So just maybe... one day in the distant or not too distant future?

*POOF* - - - regaining consciousness...
    However Vista may get us a comparatively long way towards all that. Imagine how many sample libraries you could fit into 128GB memory...!

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    However Vista may get us a comparatively long way towards all that. Imagine how many sample libraries you could fit into 128GB memory...!
    D
    I hope Vista actually gets rid of the ram cap, and hardware capable of housing that much memory becomes normal, and software starts to take advantage of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media
    Are you Daniel Moy?
    Yes, it's me Frank

Quote Originally Posted by ZareOne
    Audio enhanced Linux inside, running GPOA...

WOW!!!
    Nah... My Mac has more horsepower than that thing...

But it sure would make a great stage prop!

Go Back to forum