• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Any acoustic guitar libraries on the horizon?

Share/Bookmark

Any acoustic guitar libraries on the horizon?

There recently was a thread about acoustic guitar libraries here, using RealGuitar, VLS Horizon and YT Pure Guitars as "negative" examples. Since I've been looking for that "perfect" nylon guitar for quite some time, I own all three of them, and I'm still not happy

While RealGuitar offers exceptional performance tools, I find the samples rather weak. VSL and YT samples are better (IMO), but they're nowhere near as intuitive to use as RealGuitar.

I wonder why that is. I mean, there's LPC and Lyrical Distortion for electric guitars, countless highly sophisticated orchestral libraries and even more top notch pianos, but not a single "high end" acoustic guitar. Am I the only one looking for something like this? Have any of the "resident" sample developers ever considered this?

What are your thoughts on this?

Re: Any acoustic guitar libraries on the horizon?

I hate to risk sounding rude... But guitar is so hard to emulate, and such a widely played instrument that it makes sense that it is not a priority for the big sample libary makers. Most people just have access to someone who can play guitar.

And imo I would recommend you try to find someone too, because it would be much easier than programming realistic guitar sounds;]

Quote Originally Posted by AuraCore
    There recently was a thread about acoustic guitar libraries here, using RealGuitar, VLS Horizon and YT Pure Guitars as "negative" examples. Since I've been looking for that "perfect" nylon guitar for quite some time, I own all three of them, and I'm still not happy

While RealGuitar offers exceptional performance tools, I find the samples rather weak. VSL and YT samples are better (IMO), but they're nowhere near as intuitive to use as RealGuitar.

I wonder why that is. I mean, there's LPC and Lyrical Distortion for electric guitars, countless highly sophisticated orchestral libraries and even more top notch pianos, but not a single "high end" acoustic guitar. Am I the only one looking for something like this? Have any of the "resident" sample developers ever considered this?

What are your thoughts on this?
    personally i love real guitar

have u ever heard of a program called bodilizer? u should go check it out, they say when used in addition to realguitar that it adds that missing realism-- i too own realguitar, and like u, the interface is great and the sound is good but not perfect-- i was actually about to test the demo, it's sort of complicated but basically it has to do with the pickups and putting back in something that is lost when miking the guitar or something-- i don't know, it's too complicated, but if it works, that's what counts-- i definitely could hear a big difference in the audio samples they have on the website (and it's fairly cheap, it's worth a try at least with the free demo)

Why is it that every time there's a topic on guitar libraries someone has to say that you should just get yourself a guitarist and not bother with sample libraries? Are guitarists really that paranoid?? Listen to what's being created with the latest electric guitar libraries.. rhythm and leads good enough to fool just about anyone.

As far as acoustic libraries go, I think that RG is as good as it gets right now. I'm hoping that the developers that are producing great electric libraries right now plan on doing acoustic libraries also..

I think RealGuitar will offer a way to use external sounds with the software. I could be fine for banjo too ...

Quote Originally Posted by Red_venom
    I hate to risk sounding rude... But guitar is so hard to emulate, and such a widely played instrument that it makes sense that it is not a priority for the big sample libary makers. Most people just have access to someone who can play guitar.

And imo I would recommend you try to find someone too, because it would be much easier than programming realistic guitar sounds;]
    Not rude at all and I understand what you're saying. I'm a drummer myself (the only instrument I have actually LEARNED to play ) and although I have all those fancy drum samples, I still sometimes feel the urge to play a real drum. And while I agree that total realism can only be achieved using the real thing, I think we've got pretty far with a couple of instruments that only a few years ago screamed sampler. I mean, honestly and at the risk of outing myself as a complete amateur, most of the LPC, orchestral or high end piano sample library demos would easily fool me. And that's certainly good enough for my purpose. I just don't see why it should be any more difficult to produce an acoustic guitar library than a high end electrical guitar or orchestral library.
    BTW, I have played with a number of bands for the last 15 years and know quite a few guitar players that I could ask to help me out. But that's not the point. Right now, I enjoy the fun and challenge to see how far I can get just by myself.

have u ever heard of a program called bodilizer?
    Interesting. I'll try it, thanks.

I think RealGuitar will offer a way to use external sounds with the software. I could be fine for banjo too ...
    Where did you hear this? Do you know of any timeline?

Surely, one can do better than the Nylon in Realguitar?

I've heard that Bela Media (or that other fella) are planning to produce an acoustic and/or nylon guitar library. It's been two years ago since they announced it so it must really rock by now.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Alexcremers
    Surely, one can do better than the Nylon in Realguitar?

I've heard that Bela Media (or that other fella) are planning to produce an acoustic and/or nylon guitar library. It's been two years ago since they announced it so it must really rock by now.

Alex
    Pure Guitars is quite decent. I too would like to be able to use them within Real Guitar.

Here is a tip for a strumming technique I use with Pure Guitars that had a guitarist friend of mine shaking his head. Use 2 keyboards, one weighted for downstokes and one unweighted or lightly weighted for upstrokes. It alows you to recreate a guitar strum more convincingly.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Yes, I have Pure Guitars. I like that type of sound (the flamenco nylon one, not the classic one) but I want it to be taken further. It's time! 4 layers is outdated these days.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast