• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT or Not OT - Vista?

Share/Bookmark

Question OT or Not OT - Vista?

How will this effect we people who just can't afford to go out and purchase another system? I mean, if one has a P 4 processor with 2.66 mhz , will Vista be an option to us or will it be another pain in the lower left quadrant? Ezz this going to render systems such as this useless?
    Styxx

Re: OT or Not OT - Vista?

Lets just say, it killed my xm-~~~. I was considering an upgrade for GPOA!!
    75,000th Post Winner on the Garritan Forum
    "Don't you wish you were me?"

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    How will this effect we people who just can't afford to go out and purchase another system? I mean, if one has a P 4 processor with 2.66 mhz , will Vista be an option to us or will it be another pain in the lower left quadrant? Ezz this going to render systems such as this useless?
    Actually, your question points out an assumption many people make, and one that is highly encouraged by the marketing folks at Microsoft, that you really need to upgrade each time a new version of the operating system comes out. What you should really be asking is this: "Does Vista bring anything new to the party that I personally need for my daily computer use?"

My primary office box, the one that I do all my software development on and write all my books on, is running Windows 2000. So is my laptop. The station dedicated to broadcasting for the Composer Channel is running Windows 98, as is a computer dedicated to backup and archival purposes. My primary studio workstation is running XP, but only at gunpoint because some of my hardware required it. However, it also came with the computer when I bought it, so I haven't upgraded any of my older machines to XP.

So, out of 5 computers on the network, only one is running the latest version of the OS, and if I had my choice I'd be running Windows 2000 on that one as well (not being a big fan of the Fisher Price user interface). Will I upgrade any of my machines to Vista? Probably not. They all work just fine doing the job for which they're intended, so why subject myself to the hassles? Whenever I get around to buying a new computer, if Vista is out, I'll probably give it a try, but of course, since it's a new computer with Vista installed then the question of sufficient hardware will be a non issue.

People get too hung up on always having the latest bright and shiny objects. Screw that. We're musicians, we're encouraged to break the rules! If your computer gets the job done for you today, then why change it? Worry about new operating systems when you decide that you want to buy a new computer. Until then, enjoy what you've got!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Sure, I understand but always seem when you sit on the side of the road everything passes you by. Seems that way, then again there's NMB who in my assessment is waiting sensibly!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    and if I had my choice I'd be running Windows 2000 on that one as well (not being a big fan of the Fisher Price user interface).

What do you mean by Fisher Price user interface?

R.

Talking Re: OT or Not OT - Vista?

Quote Originally Posted by dabbler

R.
    I prefer the Lego interfaces myself. They are interchangeable and modular.
    Styxx

The Vista release has been delayed until January 2007.

I've been looking at the latest beta and here are some personal points;

People seem to be getting excited about the new graphics look of Vista called Aero Glass. If your current PC doesn't have the graphics processing grunt required to run it then Vista switches to a more basic look.

I made the switch to XP 2 years after initial release which is about the time Microsoft have gotten around to fixing most of the bugs / security holes. The first thing I did was disable all the fancy graphics effects and disable unnecessary services so as to get the best possible performance. My PC has to fulfill a number of demanding tasks not least perform as a capable DAW so the eye candy goes. When I move to Vista around 2009, most of the bugs should have been fixed, hardware drivers should be available and the hardware necessary to run the thing should be relatively cheap. Of course the usual performance enhancing tweaks will be applied.

As far as the eye candy goes most of what Vista will be capable of I can already have on my Linux PC as well as using a virtual mixer to achieve individual application sound mixing.

Vista will support the new EFI replacement for the old BIOS, as yet there are no motherboards available (apart from the Itanium server market).

New DRM additions in Vista will mean that unlicensed audio and video will not be played. Make your own mind up about that.

Quote Originally Posted by tmonaghan
    New DRM additions in Vista will mean that unlicensed audio and video will not be played. Make your own mind up about that.
    My home stereo is an Audiotron, basically a device that plugs into my amplifier & plays music from any hard drive on the network. Consequently, I've ripped all of the CDs I own to wma files (took a week to do so).

Will Vista consider these files licensed or unlicensed?
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Found this on wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature..._Windows_Vista

My take on it is that although many things are being tweaked and there's new eye candy, it doesn't actually enable you to "do" anything more than you can already do. About the only thing that looks functionally useful is the Monad command line scripting language (about bloody time).

So, basically, for all the hype, this is just an engine tune up and a new coat of paint. I'll use it when I'm forced to I suppose, but I'm certainly not impressed with the feature set.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by dabbler

R.
    A common slang for the excessive eye candy / dumbed down user interface in Windows XP, since it looks like something that Fisher Price would sell.

Fisher Price is a manufacturer of children's toys.
    http://www.fisher-price.com/us/default.asp
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum