• Help

Topic: vista

Share/Bookmark

vista

sponsored links

***Advertisments***

Re: vista

Vista is going to rock.

I watched this very long 40 minute video demonstrating the new Office for Vista.

Go in about 8 minutes and they show you the new lay-out. No more pull-down menus!!!!!
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

So what's up with the "Business" version coming out 4th quarter this year the the "Home" version not being ready until next year? Is it so they can cram the home version with more useless stuff that doesn't work, or just that they're unconcerned with whether businesses have a version that actually works (they all have the corporate sevice plans anyway, right??)

For business I just switched over to Ubuntu with all open source software. Couldn't be happier. And the price is right: free.

Who cares about Vista.

For music, I'll stick with XP until they come up with viable alternatives in Linux.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    For business I just switched over to Ubuntu with all open source software. Couldn't be happier. And the price is right: free.

Who cares about Vista.

For music, I'll stick with XP until they come up with viable alternatives in Linux.
    Rob,
    You're not the only one who's considering linux as an alternative, and waiting to see what happens.

Regards,

Alex.

--
    Robert Gregory Browne
    St. Martin's Press

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    Rob,
    Thanks for the tip. Problem is, i don't know anything about Linux, and how to install or use it. I've managed to learn a little, but certainly a long way from being confident of picking it up quick.
    I'm still using Quill, parchment and ink!

Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    So what's up with the "Business" version coming out 4th quarter this year the the "Home" version not being ready until next year?
    I spoke with an MS guy at CES who said that they need to release Vista by late August to get it into the pipeline for inclusion into new computers for Xmas sales. If they miss that date, the retailers' shelves will already be spoken for.

My take is that there are two reasons for the delay:

1) If the business version isn't ready until November, it missed the Xmas deadline anyway. Consumer sales depend on Xmas. Business sales don't. Companies with a fiscal calendar end in December that haven't used up their budgets will typically buy PCs at the end of the year.

2) The consumer version includes a bunch of new Media Center features. The business versions don't. Sure, they're blaming it on security, but the non-Media Center software will be much simpler than the consumer versions. And... it doesn't have to worry about all that DRM and copy protection (security) code.

-JF

For personal use, I believe it's been cancelled until January 2007.

I'm thinking they should just cancel it altogether.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    St. Martin's Press

Go Back to forum