• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Whose Daf (Persian frame drum) is the best?

Share/Bookmark

Whose Daf (Persian frame drum) is the best?

Looks like the only sample libraries containing the "daf" Persian frame drum (a/k/a def, a/k/a duff, etc. -- the one with the rings attached to the frame that makes a lovely "whoosh"-ing sound when it is shaken) are Ilio's "Origins," Sonic Implants' "Silk Road" and Q-Up Arts' "Voices of Istanbul."

Has anyone heard any of these libraries, who can comment on (i) the relative quality of the daf samples and/or (ii) the relative quality of the libraries on the whole? Are there other libraries worthy of consideration?

I'm running GigaStudio3 (when it's not crashing, that is) and Cubase SX3...

Thanks,

Alan

Re: Whose Daf (Persian frame drum) is the best?

Lately I've been using Doru Malaia's Ethnic drums. He sampled 230 different instruments for this package, so forgive me if I can't recall the quality of the daf. (I'm not at my daw right now.)

Here are the main points:
    * The overall recording quality is quite good. It's all 24-bits
    * It's in wave format, so you need to open the GS3 editor and map the waves to the keys. It takes me about three minutes to make a new percussion instrument in GS3. I just throw the samples at the keys, save it, and then beat whatever keys sound the best for the rhythm that I'm doing.
    * The range of samples for each instrument varies from about five to about 100. The daf has 64, so it's relatively deep.
    * Run the drums through some of the bigger GigaPulses, and they sound huge!
    * Apply the DEF (Dynamic Expression Filter in iMidiRules) and you can adjust the timbre of each note from a thud to a crack. It works from the modwheel, and sounds great. For percussion, I wish it worked from velocity. Maybe GS4?
    * The lib is only $29.

And sadly, Doru passed away this past February or so. The website is still up. Maybe his wife or other relatives/friends are continuing sales. I'd recommend contacting them before buying, just to ensure that there's somebody there to receive your order.

http://www.dorumalaia2.com/230ethnicdrumsperc.htm

Doru, you are not forgotten...

-JF

I actually found the Doru Malaia website yesterday, via Google, and was intrigued... then, while searching for reviews of his $29 DVD, I found a number of wildly contorted, semi-frenzied threads on several forums about whether Doru was a scam artist, whether he actually died, and whether he even existed at all. Very odd. His own website makes no mention of his passing (real or fabricated). There are a bunch of free downloadable .wav files on his site, many of which don't sound half bad...

Thanks for the tip -- and for the insta-guide to running .wav samples in Giga!!

I don't know any inside information, but Doru made 35 posts here at NSS:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...hp?userid=3470

And I don't think he's a scam artist. I really received the DVD for $29. All indications are that he really sampled these instruments himself.

The word was that he was fighting an aggressive form of cancer for the past year or so, and that he passed away earlier this year. Having lost a sister-in-law and some friends to cancer over the past few years, such a story is all too believable to me.

Anyway, I've been putting his samples to good use lately. Sure, I've had to make Gigs myself to play them, but they're probably the best sample bargain I've ever gotten!

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by alanb
    I actually found the Doru Malaia website yesterday, via Google, and was intrigued... then, while searching for reviews of his $29 DVD, I found a number of wildly contorted, semi-frenzied threads on several forums about whether Doru was a scam artist, whether he actually died, and whether he even existed at all. Very odd. His own website makes no mention of his passing (real or fabricated). There are a bunch of free downloadable .wav files on his site, many of which don't sound half bad...

Thanks for the tip -- and for the insta-guide to running .wav samples in Giga!!
    I can't answer the question of whether Doru was a real person, or whether he's died, but whoever was running the operation under that name was a genuinely very nice person. I bought the DVD, and then didn't use it for 6 months, at which point I found that it was corrupt.

So I emailed Doru, and, without asking for proof that I'd ever owned the DVD, or asserting that this was highly unlikely and asking me to do several hundred checks on my system, he simply sent out another at his own expense, the next day. I can't believe that someone with such manners towards customers could be a scam artist.

If he was real, and if he is now dead, then it's a sad loss.

Doru was real and did pass away. Lovely gentleman. See:

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/foru...d.php?p=212053

I also purchased this DVD and was amazed at the quantity, quality, variety and depth of the samples. There have to be more than a few instruments in there that had never been sampled before (and should have been).

Directly regarding hand drums, i'm not at my DAW right now so i can't pull up the daf, but here's the thing: hand drums are **extremely** well represented in this collection; you could almost say there are TOO many (if there weren't so much of everything else as well). There must be twenty different hand drums at least in the library; all sampled in depth. If i were looking for hand drum samples, knowing what i know now about this library, there is no question that this is the one to reach for, especially at this price. I hope you can still obtain it from Doru's inheritors, whomever they may be.

Well, I ordered the Doru Malaia DVD through kagi.com... fingers are crossed that it will arrive... and that kagi will be cooperative with a refund if it doesn't...

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    * It's in wave format, so you need to open the GS3 editor and map the waves to the keys. It takes me about three minutes to make a new percussion instrument in GS3. I just throw the samples at the keys, save it, and then beat whatever keys sound the best for the rhythm that I'm doing.
    Is it possible to take non-wav samples (i'm thinking, specifically, of the .nks libraries / .nki files in Quantum Leap Ra) and map *those* to .gig files?

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    * Apply the DEF (Dynamic Expression Filter in iMidiRules) and you can adjust the timbre of each note from a thud to a crack. It works from the modwheel, and sounds great. For percussion, I wish it worked from velocity. Maybe GS4?
    [/quote]

Very interesting... I will have to do some poking around in the DEF to see what it can do.

Thanks for the info/insight!!

Alan

Regarding nki files, many of them have copy protection and don't offer access to the waves at all. You might look into Chicken Systems Translator and see what they offer in these regards.

The other option is to sample the samples. In other words play and capture the waves from the Kontakt player, then import them into Giga. It may technically violate the license, but isn't unethical (by my judgement, others may vary) if you bought the nki files and only use the waves/gigs for personal use.

-JF

Poor Doru. I ordered it too.

So, based upon what a few of you said in this thread, I took a chance and ordered the $29 Doru Malaia "230 Ethnic Drums and Percussions" 24/96 .wav DVD.

Hey, presto!! -- a slim package from Romania arrived today.

I am very impressed with the collection - certainly for the price charged... one would be hard-pressed to run out of percussion sounds to use -- as either a main focus/driving force or as a spice to be sprinkled gently throughout a piece... I can't wait to start blowing some of these sounds up in GS3's DEF, per JonFairhurst's suggestion.

I'm playing the 38 Tibetan Singing Bowls, consecutively, in WinAmp as I type this. Very nice.

Thanks for steering me this way!!

Go Back to forum