• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: My first GPO!

Share/Bookmark

My first GPO!

Actually i lied, it's not entirely GPO. String and wind samples are mixed with various external synths.
    I began this piece with Rachmaninoff in mind, but after a mere few bars it veered off into it's own direction... not sure what it is anymore.

....and now for the obligatory apologetics:

1: It's long in length... 10 frack'n minutes! (hopefully not too boring)
    2: It's a bit pretentious, especially towards the end... sorry about that.
    3: Timing?... Strangely, i have a dreadful sense of rhythm. (still waiting on this to improve)
    4: Audio quality?.. it's my first attempt at VST, EQ, and creating an mp3...(would appreciate feedback in this area)
    5: ..And as mentioned, the style/discipline is in question... It should be noted that i have almost no formal musical training, except what i've learned through watching "Partridge Family" and "The Monkees" TV episodes!

here it is: (....finally!)

http://www.mass-machine.com/
    Piano Orchestration No3

all comments welcomed!

Jeff

Re: My first GPO!

Okay, first the bad news:

This could use a little editing perhaps. And there are places where the sound might be improved.

And now more bad news:

You should hire someone to write your comments. If I took your opening remarks seriously, I would have hopped a plane to Rio instead of listening.

And still more bad news:

You're almost completely DEAD WRONG on every comment... lol.

~

CONGRATULATIONS on a damned fine achievement with a major effort! This is a gorgeous piece! I listened through it THREE TIMES.

This is *excellent* work, Jeff!

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

IMPRESSIVE!!!

-Cata
    ♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

Thanks David for the listen and comments...

I'm going to add you to my "buddy list"! : After an entire day of receiving no remarks, I was thinking this piece wasn't up to par.

I agree the sound quality is lacking... it's something i'm still struggling with.

The work on these forums (especially yours) is top notch, not only in artistry, but audio quality... I'm very impressed with the fullness everyone is able to achieve with their work, and would hope to gain this characteristic myself.

....I wish there was an "Artist challenge" for audio craftsmanship!

... and thanks Cata for taking the time to listen.!

Quote Originally Posted by jsp2
    Thanks David for the listen and comments...

I'm going to add you to my "buddy list"! : After an entire day of receiving no remarks, I was thinking this piece wasn't up to par.

I agree the sound quality is lacking... it's something i'm still struggling with.

The work on these forums (especially yours) is top notch, not only in artistry, but audio quality... I'm very impressed with the fullness everyone is able to achieve with their work, and would hope to gain this characteristic myself.

....I wish there was an "Artist challenge" for audio craftsmanship!
    I didn't say the sound quality was lacking... I said it "might be improved" -- which can be said of virtually every piece... lol -- most notably my own. All of us are constantly learning, in this regard.

As for the Buddy List, thank you, but -- I'm not quite sure what that dingus is. In any event, in this forum I wonder at its utility, as the friendship, helpfulness, courtesy, and respect amongst the forum members is something I have very rarely seen violated.

I thank you for the kind words about the work in this forum, on behalf of myself and the many, many hard-working composers and musicians here.

And... Jeff don't be discouraged if sometimes posts are few (especially on a longer work). The forum has its own sort of "weather" -- wildly busy some days, in doldrums on others.

Just keep doing what you're doing and going where you're going. The music is well beyond merely "up to par" -- and if I'm any judge of such matters, we're going to be hearing a lot of top-flight work from you.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Ha,ha David...

I was kidding about the "buddy list" thing...

....i avoid those too... lol.

And as for the lack of response... I myself am guilty of passing on lengthy mp3's... I imagined it might be an issue here as well.
    It's unfortunate my first post was so long... Somehow this arrangement just ot out of control. I would have preferred my audio learning curve to have been more manageable in size.

i do indeed have more works, in the works!.... i'm hoping to truly learn something from everyone else's expertise!

... but thanks for the reply again.
    hmmm..... Perhaps i came across as such a sensitive guy.... actually i'm not. lol

~jeff

(edit )- btw:using an older user name... this forum just locked me out !(again!)

Personally, I've got a hide like a rhino (probably from people throwing tomatoes at me back in my performing days... lol)... so I know another "sensitive guy" when I see one.

You sure as heck did take on one massive project for your kick-off, Jeff. That you pulled it off with such aplomb tells me a great deal about certain of your character traits -- like, you're willing to work your backside off to get where you're going. To me, that's golden.

Longer pieces do, of course, pose something of a problem. People just don't have the time, often, for more than a quick listen. Still, I think you'll find that even longer pieces eventually get a good hearing -- it just takes a while.

Looking forward to more!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Jeff,

etLux was absolutely right with his comments. Having read your initial post and listening to the first bars of your piece ... when the strings came in and sounded very synthy I thought "hmm ... here is just somebody who throws up a quick improvisation on the piano and spices it up with some addiditonal sounds" ... and clicked it away ...

I am glad etLux responded which made me listen it again and in the whole. And then once more.

Yes - you are a composer! Period.

Of course there is that synth sound - which actually is unnecessary. I am still learning but I can tell you that it is not so difficult to make it real. It is actually not a question of more and more libraries - better to focus on one and really learn to handle it. I am very happy with GPO now and if you like, send me a mail and I will be happy to share what I found out so far.

Hannes

Jeff

This piece is very touching. The melodies, the harmonies are all so beautiful. Even the length of this wasn't tedious, one doesn't notice it. Beautiful things happen all the time between the instruments. Forgive me if I don't comment too much, unfortunately my way with English word is not as elegant as some others....I never attempt to read David's comments without several dictionaries handy .....

Your piece is amazing!
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast