• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stylus suggestions

Share/Bookmark

Stylus suggestions

Love it! Let me start with that. I use it A LOT!!!!!

Would like to know if it is possible to release a Stylus UNeffected. All the grooves plus more grooves but without the processing.

I love RMX for that but thought if I also had the option to turn that off, I could have those drums sit in the mix better...a little more control for the engineer.

That's not to diss the effected drums. They do inspire! But...options.
    Steve Hanlon, guitarist/composer
    Logic 7, PowerMac DP 2.0 (8- RAM slot model), 4GB RAM, OS 10.4.11
    UAD-1 Ultra Pak
    Lots of V.I. and sound effects
    Apogee Rosetta 200
    Great River ME-1NV
    Blue Sky Monitors

Re: Stylus suggestions

With remix style loops, that's not always possible to do...since it's often not just an effect that you can turn off, but a complex series of creative techniques to create these types of grooves. For example, many of the sound design grooves were created by taking long ambiences and cutting them up into segments in Pro Tools and turning each piece into a unique sound. The original versions just don't sound that interesting or useful.

We did it whereever it was possible, separate elements whenever we can and understand that this is highly useful in a production setting...but a lot of engineers don't really understand that the processes and techniques we use to create the sounds aren't always "undoable".

If you want more of the straight acoustic approach, try the SAGE Xpanders and check out the multis on those. In these case the effects are happening in realtime and source is more "straight".

Thanks for your feedback! :-)

spectrum

Oops. Sorry , Spectrum. I didn't type right. I'm actually referring to the Xpanders and specifically the Backbeat one. The grooves for that are quite 'realistic' for just that typical rock/pop sound. So I meant those grooves.

I realize you were probably taking an existing library and making it for SAGE. So no problem on that.

But I thought for future Xpanders, it would be cool to have a 'Studio Drummer' at hand to play as many grooves as popular music demands (complete with groove variations and 5+fills)...and do it with an unprocessed sound.

But equally if the product also came with Template Multi kits (as it already does) with the effects already tweaked using Stylus' effects rack.

So that would be the 'On/Off' feature.

You want dry, load in the groove kit... You want effected load in the 'template Multi Kits' with effects already loaded in (and that would allow us to tweak effects even further if so desired).

Perhaps I'm a minority. I use Stylus a lot for getting a quick standard grooves down (I know it has so much more potetnial than that). Of course we've already hashed the need for more Xpanders in odd meters and Latin grooves, Ballads, R&B grooves....so that same concept but with even more control over dry and wet sound.

'Studio Drummer'
    Steve Hanlon, guitarist/composer
    Logic 7, PowerMac DP 2.0 (8- RAM slot model), 4GB RAM, OS 10.4.11
    UAD-1 Ultra Pak
    Lots of V.I. and sound effects
    Apogee Rosetta 200
    Great River ME-1NV
    Blue Sky Monitors

Sure...that's a popular request.

Go Back to forum