• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: NForce 4 MoBo and Sound?

Share/Bookmark

NForce 4 MoBo and Sound?

Several months ago, I purchased a MSI K8N Socket 939 Nforce 4 mobo to use in a music only computer. I found out, both from experience and this forum that the Nforce 4 board were not good for music and that he Nforce 3 boards were better.

So, I got the Gigabyte Nforce 3 version and all has been well.

I think I saw a posting on this forum a few weeks ago that said the Nforce 4 boards were OK if only the XP drivers were used.

Can someone verify this? Will the MSI board work with audio if the "correct" drivers are used?

Thanks
    Ron Williams
    Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our upmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets -- Zoltan Kodaly

Re: NForce 4 MoBo and Sound?

ChoralBoss,

I read the same horror stories about NForce4 boards for DAW use. All I can say is that my MSI K8N SLI-FI (NForce 4 chipset) has worked without a hitch and out of the box (i.e. no BIOS upgrades or anything). Even my TC PoCo works great.

FYI, some more specs:

3GB Corsair RAM
    3 Maxtor SATA disks
    Asus PCIe 256 dual head video card (can't remember the model)
    TC PoCo PCI (MKI)
    RME Hammerfall DSP
    Cubase SX3
    Countless VST(i)s

2nd DAW (P4 3GHz) connected via Gbit LAN and FXTeleport.

Hope this helps.

HI,

try adding a UAD to that system.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jcschild
    HI,

try adding a UAD to that system.....
    Sure, send one over and I'll try it for you

The point is - the "horror" stories are about using PCI add-on cards like UAudio. I believe that has been worked out (see Tyan 2895 plus Magma chassis discussions at the Nuendo.com hardware forum)
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Well, why don't you just post your setup (the PCI cards and other stuff that you want to use)? I would think that nobody here will be able to confirm that MSI boards work with everything you throw at them, as long as the "correct drivers" are used.

Or even better, just try it. You already have that NForce4 board, no?

HI,
    lets see if i can be clear about this.
    any Nforce 4 (with the exception of the tyan 2895, as your still using the AMD 8131 tunnel on the PCIX slots)
    does not function well with UADs. (having to use a Magma is NOT functioning well)
    there is a hit and miss work around on the UAD forum (and its very hit and miss)

i have tried over 20 Nforce4, Ultra, SLI, etc.
    the MSI neo 4 is the closest we have seen to actually functioning. (about 20% of what you should be able to run in UAD plugs)

on the tyan 2895 i can use 3 uads, again due to multibus board.
    a single CPU Nforce4 plains sucks for UADs, SLI boards can decrease your performance as well even without the UADs.

if i knew i would never use a UAD EG: a gigabox/EW box then the nforce 4 is not a bad answer. a SLI board would not be what i chose.

Scott
    ADK

The issue is not just with UAD cards. In general, on an NForce 4 board with a single CPU you apparently see worse CPU performance and latency in audio apps than you would with the same CPU and audio interface in a different mobo. This is due to the tendency of the PCI-e video cards to steal bus bandwidth from your audio hardware.

With a dual core CPU, this issue is pretty close to non-existent. I haven't done any detailed benchmarking, but I am running an Opteron 165 on an Asus AN8 Premium SLI mobo and a bandwidth-hungry GeForce 7800GT (I got a really good deal on the combo from a friend, or I probably wouldn't have gone SLI) and it performs beautifully for audio. It could be that there are better mobo/CPU combos in the price range for a dedicated audio PC, but for a machine that will also be running the occasional game, dual core CPU + NForce 4 mobo is a good compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Dorsch
    This is due to the tendency of the PCI-e video cards to steal bus bandwidth from your audio hardware.
    I was wondering when someone was going to say this.

Dual core systmes are quite pricey. AMD 939,754 boards with AGP are almost nonexistent.

I don't know if that is the case with Intel.

From what I've read PCIe and most audio cards are a bad combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Dorsch
    The issue is not just with UAD cards. In general, on an NForce 4 board with a single CPU you apparently see worse CPU performance and latency in audio apps than you would with the same CPU and audio interface in a different mobo. This is due to the tendency of the PCI-e video cards to steal bus bandwidth from your audio hardware.

With a dual core CPU, this issue is pretty close to non-existent. I haven't done any detailed benchmarking, but I am running an Opteron 165 on an Asus AN8 Premium SLI mobo and a bandwidth-hungry GeForce 7800GT (I got a really good deal on the combo from a friend, or I probably wouldn't have gone SLI) and it performs beautifully for audio. It could be that there are better mobo/CPU combos in the price range for a dedicated audio PC, but for a machine that will also be running the occasional game, dual core CPU + NForce 4 mobo is a good compromise.
    Hi Ian,

i am all too familar with the issues of PCIe and Audio.
    do me a favor please run either the Thonex test(cubase/nuendo) or the gary sonar test on our site. i would love to see numbers for your sli board
    www.adkproaudio.com/downloads.cfm

thanks
    scott
    ADK

Go Back to forum