• Register
  • Help

Topic: GDC 2006 Log

Share/Bookmark

GDC 2006 Log

Don't know how often I can do this, but I will give it a shot.

GDC opens tomorrow. I was over there today. Lots of XBox 360's to play with. The goody bags have a real pile of paper and a few interesting items. Like a pair of gold socks (thanks to Adult Swim). Free GDC t-shirts available after one of the large theater shows.
    The Expo looks like it will be wall to wall this time, larger than years past. Registration is done on a lap-top in a room full of lap-tops.
    Sunny warm day today so far, but rain in the forcast in then next two days, with sunny days thereafter.
    I am going to a dinner there later this evening. If I see anything exciting...
    Doyle W. Donehoo, Composer
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Re: GDC 2006 Log

Cool

If you see Ed Lima there (afaik he's giving a game audio talk), tell him Alex W says G'day.

Arrow Re: GDC 2006 Log

Quote Originally Posted by alx
    If you see Ed Lima there (afaik he's giving a game audio talk), tell him Alex W says G'day.
    I will try. I believe I will be at his session.

All day sessions today. Saw our own Sam H. at today's session. Also saw lots of new people, when at previous GDC's I knew about half of all the audio people. More people too....

Watched a movie of the game "Prey" in action and was blown away. I thought Doom 3 and Quake looked good, but this....wow. I wonder if "Gears of War" will look this good? In both cases, the music is being done by this forums members.

One of the topics today was audio language localisation, and some of the crazy translations that slipped by were pretty funny.

Some of the audio integration tools are very interesting. The tools for "Halo" are very impressive. They said they were tracking something like 30,000 data elements. More tools stuff later in other sessions.

The demo movie for "Auto Assault" is pretty wild, if not too realistic. Nice graphics though.

Rain and cold today. Its late and I am tired. More tomorrow.
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Arrow Re: GDC 2006 Log

Too much going on to report, and not enough time. Tomorrow is even worse. But the interactive audio tools look very interesting. And we had a GANG gathering this evening. More later.
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Talking Re: GDC 2006 Log

Great day today! I was running around the expo floor for a couple of hours. There's enough going on to make one's head spin.

Lot's of really cool game developers - the people at the x-box booth were particularly nice.

MK

Quote Originally Posted by dwdonehoo
    Watched a movie of the game "Prey" in action and was blown away. I thought Doom 3 and Quake looked good, but this....wow. I wonder if "Gears of War" will look this good? In both cases, the music is being done by this forums members.
    Well, seeing as Prey is using the Doom3 engine and Gears is using the UE3 engine, it would certainly make sense that it would look better. UE3 is the next step up technology-wise. Prey definitely does look cool tho...Looking forward to playing it, for sure!
    -Jamey

I saw Ed's sponsored session on Prey. They showed an actual build of the game and walked through some of the sound features. They're doing some nice things. As much as I like to rib my friends rather than compliment them, Ed's a compelling speaker who doesn't take things too seriously and really knows what he's talking about.

I didn't see many sessions as usual, but did see the Wwise demonstration. Though it is a 1.0 release, this tool caught my attention.
    Chris Rickwood
    www.rickwoodmusic.com

Go Back to forum