• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Question about GPO Finale

Share/Bookmark

Question about GPO Finale

I have GPO already. I'm thinking about upgrading Finale to 2006. My question is about whether I will need to have both GPO and GPO Finale installed on my computer at the same time. Are they essentially the same thing or is there anything different in the Finale version? Will Finale work with my regular GPO edition? Any drawbacks to either way?

thanks
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Re: Question about GPO Finale

No need to use the Finale edition of GPO also. It is in fact an easier and smaller version of GPO so you don┤t want it anyway. I use the full GPO with Finale and it works as it should. I discovered a little thing yesterday, you must disable GPO:s option "use std. cc#7.........." otherwise the new volume & pan feature takes control over the player.

If you want to use Human Playback you need to have the "9. notation folder" downloaded. It is in the latest GPO update. I don┤t use HP in Finale so I can┤t say anything about how that works.

Bj÷rn

There is one very good reason to keep the Finale Lite version available on your computer: It has solo strings specially designed for Finale with switchable tremolo samples that do not exist in the full notation version of GPO. There are 2 violins, 1 viola, 1 cello, and 1 bass that are unique to the Finale version. The second violin does not exist in any form in the full version of GPO. This solo string differences between versions will eventually be eliminated, but for now, only the version that comes with Finale 2006 has the features specifically designed to work with Finale.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I'll keep that in mind. So basically if/when I get Finale, I should install it with the GPO option and that will essentially install another player that points to different dir full of audio files. Or...

1 - Is it possible for me to point it at the same data location somehow, or delete some files somewhere and have the players do a search to one consolidated data location (to reduce redundant data on my HD)

2 - When using it with both players installed..I'm assuming I would want to use the FULL GPO most of the time because its not "lite", but then under certain circumstances perhaps have a track use the Lite player in order to get those tremelos or whatever. Or...do you think its simply just easier to use the lite GPO with Finale, compose away and save my main version of GPO for if/when I pull the midi file into Sonar for detailed production work on it??
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

ps - Does Finale use special markings to tell GPO Lite what to do? If so..then I guess that would be exactly when I need to use the lite player for a track that is using those particular markings and needing to find the tremelo samples. Or.. does humanize playback do it for me behind the scenes with no special markings at all. Or both. ??

Quote Originally Posted by dewdman42
    ps - Does Finale use special markings to tell GPO Lite what to do? If so..then I guess that would be exactly when I need to use the lite player for a track that is using those particular markings and needing to find the tremelo samples. Or.. does humanize playback do it for me behind the scenes with no special markings at all. Or both. ??
    Finale uses the same markings for GPO lite and GPO full, standard notation symbols. That's it! If you put in specific markings in your score, just as if you're putting markings in for a live player to read, that's when HP will shine. Put in dynamics, articulation, phrase marks, tremolo marks, TR (trill markings), 8va signs,hairpins, breath marks, fermatas. It even responds to text commands like: cresc., dim., accel., rallentando, rit., allarg., and more, and triggers GPO key switches by seeing the words pizz. and arco.

Bottom line, the more you put into your score, the more information HP has to interpret the piece.

Hope that helps,
    Jeff

and make sure to not make any phrasing/slur errors LOL... if you end a slur on the wrong note of a tied pair, for example, HP has trouble decyphering your intention.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    and make sure to not make any phrasing/slur errors LOL... if you end a slur on the wrong note of a tied pair, for example, HP has trouble decyphering your intention.
    Which one is the wrong one?

Also:

Watch out for missing rests. HP can sometimes get a little berserk with this...

Particularly on percussion staves, but also in general with odd meters at times, I've noticed Finale occasionally neglects to properly fill in rests. It's not a bad idea to periodically select the whole score and use Mass Edit > Utilities > Fill with rests.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Which one is the wrong one?
    The 1st note of two tied notes is the "wrong" place to end a slur.

The slur/phrase marking in Finale, HP will utilize the legato feature of GPO. Whatever note your slur ends on, HP will end the legato and place a non-legato attack on the next note. If that next note is tied from the previous note, that's when problems occur.

Make sense?

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    The 1st note of two tied notes is the "wrong" place to end a slur.

The slur/phrase marking in Finale, HP will utilize the legato feature of GPO. Whatever note your slur ends on, HP will end the legato and place a non-legato attack on the next note. If that next note is tied from the previous note, that's when problems occur.

Make sense?

Jeff
    Yes... lol.

Actually, I was aware of it; and had asked the question for sake of clarity... I have used this "quirk" a few times to good articulative end when sliding off notated glissandi, etc.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum