• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How To Build a dedicated GigaStudio Computer

Share/Bookmark

How To Build a dedicated GigaStudio Computer

I use mostly Macs for recording but I do own 3 PC's that run GigaStudio only. I had someone else build them for me. I now want to build one myself. Does anyone either know of or have exact directions and specifications as to how to build a dedicated GigaStudio computer? I'm talking from choosing which case, motherboard, memory, DVD drive, internal hard drives, MIDI, ethernet card, etc...; and a clear way to set it up: what to turn on and off in the BIOS everything. I know it's a lot to ask but it seems like it's something that should be out there. I would love to do it but would only undertake it if I had an extremely detailed map with clear and easily understood directions. Remember, I am a Mac person. I can pull a Mac apart and put it back together easy but whne it come to PC's, I get very nervous. I need directions and instructions that can literally talk me through exactly what to turn on and what to turn off and how to get to the right page to do that. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Re: How To Build a dedicated GigaStudio Computer

Here are some places to look:

http://musicxp.net/

[general info relating to music on Windows XP systems... follow the links for specific hardware and Windows-tweaking tips]

http://www.tascamgiga.com/TASCAMGiga...imization.html

Be very careful when altering Windows... especially if you are really a Mac person. It's rather easy to screw things up horribly, and Giga is so ridiculously finicky -- and very unforgiving if you do not do things *precisely* the way that it wants...

And TASCAM has, without a doubt, the worst tech support that I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with in any context, so don't count on them for accurate advice or useful assistance if things go wrong -- you are much more likely to get sound guidance in forums like this one and the ones at VSL and Sonic Control...

Good luck!!

Here is an other interesting link for you:http://www.adkproaudio.com/systems/D...orkstation.cfm

These guys build PCs and you can see the component they use .

Thanks to everyone. Still wondering, besides the Tascam site, is there a clear set of insturctions as to exactly how to set up a computer to run GigaStudio at it's best?

Ros,
    I don't think anybody can really say for sure what is BEST ....There are so many computers, and so many components, and so many different brands to compare .... There are guidelines as to what works and what doesn't work, but I don't think you will find a definetive answer to your question ....You can check the various sites, and gather information from all of them , and draw your own conclusion ... It's like asking " What is the BEST way to eat spagetti ? " .....There are MANY best ways !!...I'm sure if there was a definetive "BEST" we would all have the same computers !!....Sorry I couldn't be more helpful .....Sincerely, Jim

Once it's installed wait 10 minutes before you use any other app. I get system crashes once in a while opening other apps.

Quote Originally Posted by rosindabow
    Thanks to everyone. Still wondering, besides the Tascam site, is there a clear set of insturctions as to exactly how to set up a computer to run GigaStudio at it's best?
    I'll stick my head out and say that once you have the hardware set up:

1. Install XP.
    2. Install GigaStudio.
    3. Update GigaStudio to the latest update.
    4. You're done. Make sure everything works perfectly at this point. I you fail to do so you have no solid ground if something goes wrong later.
    5. Change the memory configuration with the memory configuration utility in order to be able to load more samples.

Whatever you do, don't start following every tweak you find on 'the net. XP works ok out of the box IMO. My Giga systems are all non-tweaked (except for the needed memory configuration change) and they all work without a hitch.

/Mattias

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias Henningson
    I'll stick my head out and say that once you have the hardware set up:

1. Install XP.
    2. Install GigaStudio.
    3. Update GigaStudio to the latest update.
    4. You're done. Make sure everything works perfectly at this point. I you fail to do so you have no solid ground if something goes wrong later.
    5. Change the memory configuration with the memory configuration utility in order to be able to load more samples.

/Mattias
    Sorry if I'm being picky here, but do you also install the drivers for the MOBO and video card, or do you just ignore them since it's a dedicated computer? Just want to be clear. Thanks.

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by ErikGalindo
    do you also install the drivers for the MOBO and video card, or do you just ignore them since it's a dedicated computer?
    Normally you would need at least the mobo drivers. Graphics...some cards use less resources when using the standard XP drivers and if you're planning to use Remote Desktop or similar to control it you won't need the fancy features anyway. FWIW, I have all drivers loaded on my machines.

/Mattias

Go Back to forum