• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bag Pipe Library?

Share/Bookmark

Bag Pipe Library?

The 'World' model of Emu Proteus some years back had eulian or typical bag pipes. Not sure which, but it sounded great. (eulians sound pretty much the same to the untrained ear, just pumped under the arm, instead of blown.

At the risk of another barrage of bag pipe jokes that I've seen here every now and then, any good library out there for this?

I'll just go and hide behind the couch now and see if there is a serious answer.

Smile Re: Bag Pipe Library?

Quote Originally Posted by dynamix
    The 'World' model of Emu Proteus some years back had eulian or typical bag pipes. Not sure which, but it sounded great. (eulians sound pretty much the same to the untrained ear, just pumped under the arm, instead of blown.

At the risk of another barrage of bag pipe jokes that I've seen here every now and then, any good library out there for this?

I'll just go and hide behind the couch now and see if there is a serious answer.
    There are actually a few significant differences between the highland pipes (and nearly all other bagpipes) and Uillean pipes. For one, the UPs are played seated, and the player can actually stop the chanter's note by pressing the end against his or her leg, instead of the unbroken stream of notes from all other BPs. (The chanter is the "melody" pipe, as oposed to the drone.)

Second, the traditional UP includes an additional set of three drones called "regulators", which have a series of keys. These pipes and keys are arranged so that with the side of your hand, you can hit the keys lined up across the regulators and play any of several chords. Not all UPs have these.

Third, and probably most significant, the UP chanter is chromatic, rather than the roughly diatonic scale of the highland pipes. Also, if memory serves, the UP chanter has a somewhat larger range (like 1.5 or 2 octaves), as opposed to the octave and a note range of the HPs.

Unfortunately, don't know of any libraries for either.

Grant
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

Re: Bag Pipe Library?

Are any of these suitable for AC/DC bagpipe solos?
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by GDG
    There are actually a few significant differences between the highland pipes (and nearly all other bagpipes) and Uillean pipes.
    I was always told that the most important difference was that one could keep a hand free for one's pint when playing the Uillean pipes.

I play neither, so I don't know if it is true<G>!

Talking Re: Bag Pipe Library?

Quote Originally Posted by wst3ae
    I was always told that the most important difference was that one could keep a hand free for one's pint when playing the Uillean pipes.

I play neither, so I don't know if it is true<G>!
    Well, I think you need both hands for the chanter, plus an elbow for the bellows. But your mouth is otherwise unoccupied

Quote Originally Posted by dynamix

EastWest has a "Celtic" library (in WAV and GIGA formats) that includes the Uilleann pipes. Have no idea if it's any good or not...

Go Back to forum