• Register
  • Help

Topic: Registration Woes

Share/Bookmark

Registration Woes

Hi,

I've been the proud owner and user of GPO since December 25, 2004 (Yes it was a Christmas gift!). I absolutely love the software. However, I despise the registration stuff associated with it. I recently got a brand new iMac. It was a floor model and not thinking I installed all my software on it and about a week later realized I needed to do an archive and restore. No biggie because all the applications are saved and just the OS is reinstalled. Everything but GPO.

No joke kids. Out of all the software I own (and it's a lot), GPO is the one that dosen't allow you to do this easily. Now it's through the whole re-install, manage registrations, confirm email, trying to understand what "Are you sure you want to deactivate this authorization? Please note that you will not be able to authorize the same product for this hardware configuration again." means (Can I never re-install GPO on my iMac again if I deactivate the earlier registration??)

Now I know many of you are going to lecture me on piracy and tell me I'm being a baby and all that but you know, isn't this whole thing a bit laborious? I mean why does GPO HAVE to be re-installed after an archive and restore? Why the cryptic warnings? Why the micro-managing of this whole thing?

I just needed to blow some steam off. I just feel like I paid money for this software and I feel like I'm still somehow NOT the owner of it (Yes I know...I'm LICENSING it...) You get my point.

Ok, start the scolding.

Re: Registration Woes

Scold you? LOL.

I think half the forum would stand up and cheer.

Yes. The registration is cumbersome, and in some places downright mystifying.

I'd agree this could be better managed -- and I have no doubts that, gradually, it will be.

(On the upside, most have few problems with it; and it's far, far better than some I've used.)

In general, by the way, please don't be afraid to speak your mind. Gary's quite attentive and genuinely interested where improvements can be made.

It may take time to do so -- there are a number of logistical considerations, beyond and unrelated to the troublesome matter of piracy -- but I think eventually you'll see a smoother procedure play out.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

no scolding at all, in fact, I agree 99%!

There are far worse schemes out there, and really the only troublesome thing for me, beyond the very existance of copy protection schemes in the first place, and the need for them in the second place (or vica-versa), is that idiotic "can't reinstall on the same hardware config" thing. If they would let you put in meaningful notes, or labels, or something to make it less cryptic.

UGH!

Wow! Scold free replies! Thanks all! I guess I'm used to some of the Apple forums where if you mention one little negative thing about anything Apple people go insane. Literally INSANE. Scared for my families safety insane.

Guess it's much more mellow here in GPO land. Yee-haw!

As an update to this, after my last install GPO wouldn't work in Logic and GarageBand for some reason. The plug-in manager in Logic was giving some freak error. Speaking of cryptic messages, geesh! The ones in Logic make the GPO ones seem like poetry in comparison. Anyways, my frustration level was super-high so I did the Migration Manager to grab the old GPO installation from my PowerBook. Now everything works fine. It was a sloppy fix but I was NOT going to do another install.

So would upgrading the Kontact Player (I think I read somewhere you can do this...) make my life easier in any way? What are the advantages to the upgrade?

Thanks!

I'm a fish out of water with anything Apple, ewoh24... so I am not so sure what you're talking about in terms of "upgrading".

But I can tell you it's *very* important to stay on top of all "updates".

Perhaps one of our more Apple-savvy members can speak to your question more adequately.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Talking Re: Registration Woes

Quote Originally Posted by ewoh24
    Wow! Scold free replies! Thanks all! I guess I'm used to some of the Apple forums where if you mention one little negative thing about anything Apple people go insane. Literally INSANE. Scared for my families safety insane.

Guess it's much more mellow here in GPO land. Yee-haw!

As an update to this, after my last install GPO wouldn't work in Logic and GarageBand for some reason. The plug-in manager in Logic was giving some freak error. Speaking of cryptic messages, geesh! The ones in Logic make the GPO ones seem like poetry in comparison. Anyways, my frustration level was super-high so I did the Migration Manager to grab the old GPO installation from my PowerBook. Now everything works fine. It was a sloppy fix but I was NOT going to do another install.

So would upgrading the Kontact Player (I think I read somewhere you can do this...) make my life easier in any way? What are the advantages to the upgrade?

Thanks!
    Ahhhh, we'ra gonna makea da offa you cannota refusea. Muggsie and Malone comina ova you housa to makea surera you nowa say thata baidt woid againa!
    We don't "scold" just fine you several thousand dollars. Da boyz will be ova latta to pick up da loote!

On the serious side, I believe Mr. Garritan would be more than happy to help you if he hasn't already.
    Styxx

Hahaha!!! That's way funny. Yeah it pretty much feels like that on Apple forums. Why one time I dared to criticize Apple's move to USB 2.0 from FireWire in the latest iPods. They threw me off the forum and erased the entire thread. Kinda like what Muggsie does to people as I understand it. Wiped off the face of the Earth!

No word from Mr. Garritan yet but it's not the biggest deal in the world. I'm sure he's tied up creating another wonderful new application for us all. I certainly don't want to distract him from doing that!

As far as the Kontact player question: I thought there was an upgrade to that as the version that comes with GPO is a bundled piece that can be upgraded for more functionality. Am I thinking of something else?

Quote Originally Posted by ewoh24
    Hahaha!!! That's way funny. Yeah it pretty much feels like that on Apple forums. Why one time I dared to criticize Apple's move to USB 2.0 from FireWire in the latest iPods. They threw me off the forum and erased the entire thread. Kinda like what Muggsie does to people as I understand it. Wiped off the face of the Earth!

No word from Mr. Garritan yet but it's not the biggest deal in the world. I'm sure he's tied up creating another wonderful new application for us all. I certainly don't want to distract him from doing that!

As far as the Kontact player question: I thought there was an upgrade to that as the version that comes with GPO is a bundled piece that can be upgraded for more functionality. Am I thinking of something else?
    Updates, etc., are generally posted here:

http://www.garritan.com/downloads.html

You might get a look there, and make sure your version numbers are up to date.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

My fault for not explaining myself correctly. I saw this: [URL="https://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=sibelius_us"] at native's site and filed it away as an upgrade to the palyer that comes with GPO. Apparently it's only for Sibelius. So just disregard all that.

Thanks for all help!

Go Back to forum