• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tried everything... and still, stuck notes in Sonar 5 (GT)

Share/Bookmark

Tried everything... and still, stuck notes in Sonar 5 (GT)

Hi all, Talking about Giga-Teleport Here.

Been playing with Cubase LE for a while and after having this problem with cubase - which was solved by loading the ports and then the server as suggested by FX-MAX I switched back to Sonar 5.

Made a template of my full orchestra, set the markers and was ready to record and then it happend, again, after setting the exact configuration in cubase. So I tried the 'old-school' style, before my LE test and still, much more then before, stuck and dead notes.

I've tried opening an Audio Track and inserting the Giga Teleport and tried loading it through the Synth Rack and still, nothing changes, only now Sonar crashes when playing the recorded Sh#%ty no good MIDI track.

Is there something I'm missing? this is very annoying and since I'm a Sonar user and not Steinberg's I would very much like to know whehter it's possible or not.

I'm with 2 AMD's so no Hyper-Threading. (saving you the trouble Smile)

Waiting for your help guys, I need to get this bloody project done.

Cheers

Re: Tried everything... and still, stuck notes in Sonar 5 (GT)

Have you tried using one instrument in Giga and creating a new midi track in SONAR and seeing whether these issues occur there? Is this some specific MIDI track that is always giving you problems?

What makes up your Orchestral template..How many instruments and memory are you using? Are you using a number of GigPulse instances?

How many outputs do you have enabled in Giga thru the Teleport (ie. how many tracks show up in SONAR for an instance of the GigaTeleport VSTi)?

Are you using Gigabit LAN or 10/100? Have you made sure the TCP and port for Teleport are correct as well as any firewall rules? Is this LAN connection only for the GS and SONAR use (ie. you're not hooking up to a switch that also connects to cable router/internet modem)?

It's hard to tell from the decsription whether resources are maxing out for the latency you are using (plus sometimes too hi of a latency setting in GigaTeleport can mess things up as well), whether there is a problem in the communication over LAN, or some hardware specific issues with one of the PCs.

A lot of people are making this work so you should expect to resolve this. I've been running SONAR and GS3 each on their own machine for a long time. Currently get the best results with the most recent version of FxTeleport/GigaVST adaptor (same as GigaTeleport) on a dedicated Gigabit LAN connection. Have successfully used GigaTeleport for just audio and MOL for MIDI, and MOL for MIDI with an Echo Laya24 sound card using the SPDIF.

jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by yoav3994
    Hi all, Talking about Giga-Teleport Here.

Been playing with Cubase LE for a while and after having this problem with cubase - which was solved by loading the ports and then the server as suggested by FX-MAX I switched back to Sonar 5.

Made a template of my full orchestra, set the markers and was ready to record and then it happend, again, after setting the exact configuration in cubase. So I tried the 'old-school' style, before my LE test and still, much more then before, stuck and dead notes.

I've tried opening an Audio Track and inserting the Giga Teleport and tried loading it through the Synth Rack and still, nothing changes, only now Sonar crashes when playing the recorded Sh#%ty no good MIDI track.

Is there something I'm missing? this is very annoying and since I'm a Sonar user and not Steinberg's I would very much like to know whehter it's possible or not.

I'm with 2 AMD's so no Hyper-Threading. (saving you the trouble Smile)

Waiting for your help guys, I need to get this bloody project done.

Cheers

Hey Jeff, thanks.

Well, since everything worked well in Cubase I thought it wouldn't matter to answer all these questions.

It's a Gigabit LAN only for this use (no internet, no hub/switch, nothing).
    RAM wise it's all good (2 GBs on both machines) so to save the space I wouldn't go into that.
    Since I have 1 server i'm using 3 ports almost all of them use the full 16 channels. No GigaPulse only reverb and again, since it all worked just the other day in cubase, it has nothing to do with it i'm sure
    Now, it's a known issue that dead/stuck notes occur, I had it with the Cubase LE and solved it with the help of FX-MAX forum which seams to be completely empty.

Jeff, or anybody for that matter that uses Sonar.
    Could you please tell me your configuration in Sonar and tell me why you use FX-Teleport and the GigaVSTAdapter and not just GigaTeleport?
    It seems like a longer route for the DAW...

Thanks man,
    Yoav

I wasn't sure if you had finally gotten the whole thing to work under the same circumstances/project file.

I've been going back thru your threads but still not certain if there are specific conditions when the dropped/stuck notes occur. Does it start immediately after opening project or does it begin to creep in after workin gon the project for a while? If it happens with a single instrument/MIDI track as well as the full template, specific instruments/libraries, at certainly levels of polyphony or memory useage and CPU levels in each app. But if this all works fine with Cubase then I wonder if it's as simple as a setting in SONAR.

The reason for using FxTeleoprt with the GigaVSTi adaptor instead of just GigaTeleport (which is what I started with) is becaue I also run Kontakt2 and some effects and other VSTi on the server. You can't run an instance of GigaTeleport alongside FXTeleport on the same server, and FXTeleport cannot use GigaTeleport as the Giga VSTi. So you either use GigaTeleport or you use FXTeleport with the GigaVSTi adaptor. Max has a nice upgrade path for moving in that direction.

jeff

Jeff, thanks for the replies man

Well, since it worked with the same template in GIGA and set of MIDI channels in cubase (I did exactly the same thing in SONAR) I thought it might have something to do with Sonar's settings. Mabe it's Ver. 5 I dunno, which version are you using?

All I loaded was 35% GIGA RAM usage (server) of VSL (which includes most basic MOD samples of every section - which again, worked with cubase).
    The RAM on both computers isn't close to be maxed out and the cpu doesn't reach 20 on the GIGA machine and stays on 5% on the DAW (host).
    I have no idea why this is happening and no reply on the FX-MAX forum.

I loved working with cubase but had to go back to Sonar since I couldn't lock the markers to the SMTPE in Cubase and Sonar does this excellently.
    So I can't use cubase cause I can't lock the markers which I must do for this project and can't use Sonar since the bloody Giga-Teleport won't work.
    How did it come to this? A musician becomes a computer analysis/technician.... All I want is to make music... hehehe...

Okay. I'm running 5.01 here as well.

Do the cutoff/stuck notes happen in the same place everytime?
    Are you playing back in loop mode? Have you yet tried to either start building a new project up one track at a time, or make a copy of this project and start deleting one track at a time to see if there's a point where it plays fine, and then it doesn't. Also, I just realised I don't know if this is happening just when playing back midi tracks for Giga, or are you bouncing tracks or projects and getting these issues?

At this point I'd also make sure that in Options/Audio/General that 64bit precision is deselected and on the Advanced tab Share drivers is deselected. You might want to try deselecting all those options just to see if anything changes your results.

The other thing to try if SONAR is still crashing BTW, then I'd recommend an uninstall and reinstall of GigaTeleport and whatever audio drivers you're using. Perhaps even a reinstall of SONAR.

Also...Have you tried getting help on the SONAR forum? Maybe someone has been there and has a quick solution for you. Then there's using real Tech Support at Cakewalk. Quickest way to get an answer is if you can create the smallest project that does this and list each step you took to get there.

jeff

Hey man, I really appriciate the help.
    Nothing seems to help so i'm switching back to S4 PE to check it out.

Been having problems with S5 ever since I got it...

Are there any XP tweaks I shouldn't do cause they affect Sonar badly?!
    and Sonar 5 perticularly?

Anyway, once again, thanks again man.
    Sorry for not answering all you questions, it just seems abit pointless given it should work

Appriciate the help mate,
    Yoav

Hey Jeff,
    Thought you might like to know, switched the "Zero Controllers when play stops" off and walla, it works.

Weird but acceptable.

Thanks for the help man

Sure wish I could make the markers lock to the SMPTE in cubase though...

Cheers,
    Yoav

Go Back to forum