• Register
  • Help

Topic: Suggestions On MIDI Controller?

Share/Bookmark

Suggestions On MIDI Controller?

Hi,
    Just got the Stradivari. Using it with my M-Audio Keystation Pro 88---which is great.

BUT it has no aftertouch---an oversight on my part. It never -occurred- to me when I bought the thing that a gizmo so loaded to the gills with features would -not- have this!

It replaced a StudioLogic 990 which was -great- but I've really gotten used to the sliders and buttons on the Keystation.

So.... what are y'all using as a MIDI master controller? Anyone using the CME-88 key gizmo? It looks like what I want, but there's no one in town that actually has one to try so I'm a bit suspicious of the build quality.

And yeah, I've been searching for something used like a Yamaha KX-88 but they're hard to find.

Suggestions?

TIA,

---JC

Post Re: Suggestions On MIDI Controller?

Suntower,

I looked at M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 specifications, but could not realize whether it accepts a second continuous pedal. In this case, I would strongly suggest to assign the right pedal to CC#11, the left to CC#1, and the mod wheel to channel aftertouch. This is in my opinion the best controller setup.

Giorgio

Re: Suggestions On MIDI Controller?

Thanks Giorgio,

Sadly, it has only one continuous controller pedal. I have that set for CC#11.
    (I probably ain't coordinated enough to operate two continuous pedals simultaneously anyway. )

And so I have the mod wheel set for CC#1

It does have a soft pedal as well as sustain.

1. Based on that, got any other suggestions?

2. What keyboard are -you- using?

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgio Tommasini
    Suntower,

I looked at M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 specifications, but could not realize whether it accepts a second continuous pedal. In this case, I would strongly suggest to assign the right pedal to CC#11, the left to CC#1, and the mod wheel to channel aftertouch. This is in my opinion the best controller setup.

Giorgio

Hi Suntower,
    I like you am a new user to the Strad and I have just bought the UF8. Havent I seen you on SX3 and Kontakt2 forums? all the best welcome to Garritan there forums are so good really supportive!
    Here is my take on the UF8 which I have had four days:

Its gobsmackingly superb for the price: I got mine for £300 digital village (discounted). Its unbelievable for the price - certainly no feel of cheapness.

Its a heavy 23 k and well made piece of kit - metal construction. The box is the size of a coffin! I felt like a grave robber dragging it up to my flat last thing at night. The 88 weighted keys have a really nice feel in my opinion, the faders are chunky and it has all the basics you need. 9 fader and eight pots all assignable. It has an After touch switch and several other siwtches including a drawbar function for controlling things like the Hammond B4. It also has sequencer controls for use with transport controls of your sequencer. It looks sexy.
    It comes with a sustain pedal also well made, a short usb cable, and a manual thats is translated directly from Chinese by a Lithuanian that speaks Urdu as his first language and obviously used BabelFish. It warns of using it in the bath and also warns you about fame!

However there is a support forum and replies here are speedy:

http://www.cme-pro.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1

Issues:

The driver supplied on disk was out of date. Arbiter (UK supplier) only has 1.04 driver on their site and this is Mac only (an error on the website), but the forum has 1.5 drivers, so go there. Updating the driver after install of an older driver is glitchy, but once you have deleted a relevent dll in Windows (PC), all goes well. The name of the dll (which I forget) comes up on the screen when you try to update driver unsuccesfully.

You are going to need an expression pedal. There is an issue with the polarity of the pedal. If you have a pedal which is the wrong polarity then you can get out the soldering iron or buy a new one which is switchable or one such as the Roland EV5. I bought a M Audio EX-P expression pedal, but I am not happy with it, I cant get reading under about 40 ish and the build quality is not good. There maybe other issues too, not sure on this, my EX-P basically works in a spongy way - see the forum.
    If your using SX or Neundo, there are templates available on the download page. These set up your sequencer to receive from the UF8. You might need to tweak here.
    One thing I did not realise is that if you enable monitoring of a track in SX then all the faders start behaving oddly. Apparently its not good practice to use the UF8 as a control surface for SX and SIMULTANEOUSLY use the piano keys. You can do one then the next, but not both operations at the same time. I believe this is because they share the same midi port

There is also an interface available for download. Its a beta version 1. I havent checked this out yet, but I suppose you can adjust parameters on screen.

There are rave reviews in keyboard magazine and in Sound on Sound (Aug 05). The Sound on sound reviewer actually bought the kit and uses the forum.

Im still getting to grips with Kontakt, Garritan Strad and the UF8, and I might not know it all, I havent tweaked the template, or investigated everything, but my verdict is go and buy with no hesitation at all. I love my new toy.

Meanwhile...... back to the manuals...

Welcome to the forum

Zero
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

Here's another preliminary vote for CME's keyboard line. I had a chance to play with them at NAMM this year and they have a quality feel equal to the Kurzweil MIDIBoard that I have in the studio now. That said, M-Audio is supposed to have a slate of new keyboards coming out in the next month or so (I talked to one of their QC guys at NAMM - a friend of mine) and they seem to be worth a look.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Go Back to forum