• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Powercore

Share/Bookmark

OT: Powercore

Does anyone use a Powercore in their set-up?

What are the verbs like ? (the basic core ones)

Is the latency noticable ? I was hoping to off-load reverb during recording to a powercore unit, but after reading a review I am not so sure that powercore (or any dsp solution) is really suitable for a tracking reverb, due to buffers being optimised at 1080.

Thanks for any opinions.
    www.naxosradio.com
    VSL Symphonic Cube, PLAY Gold, Project SAM, Altiverb, US2400, Cubase 4

Re: OT: Powercore

Yes i use a powercore elements, and must say i have no broblems running it in real time at 256 or 128 buffersizes, although that puts alot of strain on the cpu.

As for the reverbs, i dont think the ones you get "free" are very good, the megaverb and classic verb as they are called...not really that good im afraid.

I tend to agree. The verbs the unit come with are ok for percussion perhaps but not much else.

Not sure what psy means by cpu strain though as the whole idea of the Poco card is to process through the dsp chips on the card and take the strain off the cpu.

I find the Poco useful for its EQ and compression plus the Virus add-on you can buy seperately. Surprisingly, I never use the card for orchestral music. Its seems to come in handy when recording vocals or performing other genres.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

As it happened I purchased a compact version before I had time to read your responses ......
    ... but, on getting it home I discovered four things;

1) Someone had already registered this particular device (!!! Must have been B Stock the shop sold me !!!)

2) The reverbs are indeed not very pleasing for real instruments.

3) Even the demos of the high end reverb plug-ins didn't sound as good as Gigapulse.

4) I didn't anticipate the extra latency a DSP solution would impose ... which I found irritating on live tracking.

I guess I didn't do my research very well.

So on all accounts it is going back to the shop on Monday !!!
    www.naxosradio.com
    VSL Symphonic Cube, PLAY Gold, Project SAM, Altiverb, US2400, Cubase 4

Well, i mean that even dsp cards put some strain on the cpu and the lower buffer settings you have, the more cpu it steals.

I think you should try maxing out your Powercore dsp with 128 buffer settings in a busy project and you will see....

Its not all that great, but its good for running power hungry apps, like the Virus or other bigger things.
    But for "small" eq`s and signal processing, i dont really see the point as the plug ins are not that great, and you will find other eq`s etc, that dont steal too much cpu anyway.

Every powercore plug in steals at least 1-2 % of your host cpu, and it increases with low latency settings.

When you can buy an additional PC for a few hundred USD that runs whatever plugins or reverbs you like, I don't see any point in using a Powercore. Why limit yourself that much?

Over at Sonimatter.com it seems the UAD-1 card is getting lots of praise. Have you looked into that rather than the Powercore?

The reverbs as well as the compressors are getting the thumbs up.
    Steve Hanlon, guitarist/composer
    Logic 7, PowerMac DP 2.0 (8- RAM slot model), 4GB RAM, OS 10.4.11
    UAD-1 Ultra Pak
    Lots of V.I. and sound effects
    Apogee Rosetta 200
    Great River ME-1NV
    Blue Sky Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kooijman
    When you can buy an additional PC for a few hundred USD that runs whatever plugins or reverbs you like, I don't see any point in using a Powercore. Why limit yourself that much?
    I see the Powercore as the opposite of limiting. The Powercore platform has some unique plugins that aren´t available on the native side, like TC Helicon's Voice Modeler, Noveltech's Character, Sony Oxford's Inflator and others.

The Powercore doesn't suddenly remove your ability to run native plugins, it adds to them. How could that be limiting?

/Yoss

Go Back to forum