• Register
  • Help

Topic: What he heck is this?

Share/Bookmark

What he heck is this?

So - it's this nagging piece that I have no idea what it is....does it go longer? bigger? or is it what it is? Where should it go - I wrote this a little while back and keep wanting to return to it - but don't know where it wants to go.... Any ideas? I'd love the help.

Regards,

Tim

http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/tcohen/Movement%203.mp3
    Last edited by tcohen; 03-15-2006 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Can't figure out how to make a link

Re: What he heck is this?

Good start Tim.
    It's fairly smooth, and the conclusion you reached in the second last or so bars, sets up a change of tempo nicely.
    So, my suggestion is, you start a regular beat, i.e. a detache pulse in the cellos down low in the bass clef, or violas near middle C. Something like quavers would do. This foundation gives you the chance to build, and further exploit the initial theme.

Just two Roubles worth.

Regards, and good luck,

Alex.

I think maybe I'd clip it at around 1:17 and head off into a broader, somewhat lighter main theme.

To me, Tim this sounds introductory, "getting ready" to go forth into a main idea. Were it me, I think I'd probably grab the opening notes of the piano, sweep them out into a wide 3/4 or triplets in major, probably in the strings, and build the main theme around it.

But -- that's obviously just one of hundreds of ways to go about it. Figuring out where to go next is half the fun...

Off to a fine start on this, Tim!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David and Alex,

Thanks so much for the ideas - I've just been stuck on this for a while - leave it alone - come back to it and get nowhere. I like both of these ideas very much and am very excited about trying them out.

Regards,

Tim

Nice start. Good overall production. I think that it is set up to go into a change of tempo. Something that takes off and really states something.

I know how it is to be stumped. I have a piece that has been sitting there for two weeks and I keep going back and listening to it hopeing something pops out to finish it.
    88fingers
    (The Nut )

www.waveav8.com

Go Back to forum