• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Jaunty"

Share/Bookmark

"Jaunty"

Music People,

Here is "Jaunty" by Larry Graham Alexander. All of the instruments are from the Garritan Personal Orchestra sample library.

If you listen to this music, take note of the fact that counterpoint doesn't have to be fancy and elaborate. In this work it consists of a simple succession of quarter notes, for the most part.

My regards to all and thanks for listening.

LGA
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "Jaunty"

Larry,

nice variations and well done counterpoint. Besides of that a clear structure ... which maybe would be needed to be broken up a little more? Perhaps add some more surprises in the middle voices?

It is remarkable how consequently you stay away from polishing the sound or even introducing dynamics or expressions. Maybe focussing to the musical ideas themselves is the key for such a vivid output.

Nevertheless I ask myself what such a piece would sound like if polished a little bit. But I think the association I have of ... if I may dare to say ... a playmobile orchestra (and I am still not sure whether you intend this or not) comes from more than that.

One principle for understanding classical music that helped me was: Never do the same thing thrice. Twice is OK, but then change. Not even play the same note three times equally. Do a crescendo, a rhythmic variation, a harmonic tilt, whatever. If the composer did not do the variation it is meant that the musician should change the sound at least. But it helps if the composer does not repeat anything exactly too often. And be it the accompaning voices.

Hannes

Thanks for your comments.

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Well built and well done, Larry.

While I absolutely agree with Hannes' general comment about "polish" -- I think practically every piece posted here, very certainly including my own, could benefit from more of it -- I cannot say that I look for a great deal of elaborate development in such a short piece.

To me, clarity and simplicity in form and development of many of these small pieces you do is both the point of the exercise and what lends them their charm.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Well built and well done, Larry.

While I absolutely agree with Hannes' general comment about "polish"...

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    With a name like Sosnowski you would agree with "polish", wouldn't you?

Thank you, Mr. Dave, for listening.

Mr. Lar'
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum