• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO and wind controllers

Share/Bookmark

GPO and wind controllers

Hello folks,

I just gifted myself of a wind controller (Yamaha WX5), and am trying to find the right setup for my various instruments. I wonder what's the best strategy with GPO. The WX5 can send a choice of Breath Controller, Expression or Volume data. I'd prefer to stay with Breath Controller, but am not sure
    it is the preferred data for GPO. Any hint?

Paolo

Re: GPO and wind controllers

You need to download the X-Custom Optional Folders from here:
    http://www.garritan.com/support/X-Custom.zip

This new addition to the library is for people who want to customize their controllers. It allows users to have custom control over volume/timbre MIDI assignments and dynamic range thoruhg the assignable slider in the Player. This feature is especially useful for users with Wind Controllers. Also, this is particularly helpful for people with certain sequencers. For instance, Logic 6 (and earlier) and GarageBand users have the reset to "0" bug which this addition will allow you to reset the controller and avoid. With the X-Custom Folders, please note that all instruments load at full volume rather than the minimum volume standard used in the Dry and Wet Audition folders. This is useful for people with Standard MIDI files they want to play or with particular sequencers as well. Most users will not need this optional addition.

There's a great tutorial for mapping to Breath Controller (CC02) here:
    http://www.lostandlonging.com/VirtualDesktop.html

Serge

Thank you Serge. It seems exactly what I need!
    Paolo

While in my first effort to use the WX5 with the GPO, I found a couple oddities.

- Applying positive values to the Breath Controller, I obtain the opposite result: blowing hard makes the sound softer, blowing softly makes it
    sound louder. Applying negative values makes things go in the right way.

- Going near 100% (i.e., -100%) makes controlling volume very difficult to do. Lower values (like -60%) makes everything a bit easier.

All considered, the wind controller seems to do a very interesting job. With wind instruments, it sounds much more natural than with the modulation wheel...

Paolo

Paolo,

as I have been learning today that reverse behaviour of the slider is normal in the current GPO version.

Hannes

Hannes,

As far as you know, is it a bug, or is it so by design? I would expect positive values for normal operations.

Paolo

Go Back to forum