• Register
  • Help

Topic: ntrack studio software?

Share/Bookmark

Question ntrack studio software?

Has anyone ever used this recording software?

www.ntrack.com
    Styxx

Re: ntrack studio software?

I used it a long time ago - left it behind for Logic Audio on the PC and then a few months later cross-graded to Cubase when Emagic was acquired by Apple. At the time it was a little bit weak on the MIDI recording side of things - dunno how it is now. But - it was great for syncing with video even back then - a really nice little app. You should try the demo to see if you like it.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Ugh. No way man. Trust me. No way.

Hi. Not much posts here, since i only like to read this forum. But since i use n-track software, i can say something.
    Is a nice software, a lot of powerfull features at little price. But, it have some issues in some systems, and can be un-stable in some ocassions. Anyway, you can download the demo, and give it a try, you dont lost nothing. The n-track forum is a very active community, if you want to ask something, there you will found some knowledge guys that can help you. If you go there, look for "Bubbagump", a guy that has recorded the last year a very nice Xmas album using n-Track and GPO, and Vocals.
    The midi side is not it strong point (it dont have score view), but is very useable.
    Well, hope it helps.
    Marcelo Colina

Well, I guess I should elaborate...

The longer I work with many different applications (and I have used/seen quite a few) the more I realize that there are very few people out there that know how to design interfaces and create conductive user-end workflows. N-Track, for all its nice features and nice pricetag, is a program that could use some serious redesigning. Of course, that seems to be the major failing in most applications that I come into contact with. To me, that's all it takes to turn a promising application into nothing much. Take Cakewalk Music Creator. Just downloaded it last night. Great concept, great features (although poorly documented), but poor design and implementation. I would hate for someone who is new to digital audio programs to try and start there. Its not a good application to try and pick up and run with. The same can be said for many sequencing packages out there. Look at FL Studio. Features all over the place, but to me it suffers because of poor design and workflow.

And before anyone gets into a RTFM rant... It is very easy to make the obvious features obvious and those more specialized features hidden. For the life of me, I don't understand why programmers don't get that. If you are aiming your application at light VST sequencing, then those features that are an integral part of using VST's should be staring the user in the face and require no great thinking to use them. Unfortunately, this is rarely the case.

Thumbs up Re: ntrack studio software?

Well said J.B.
    And I should clarify. The reason I post this question on ntrack was due to a friend who is interested in recording software for home and had asked me if I knew anything about it. I'm not interested in purchasing ntrack or trying their demo yet I thank you all for your views, comments, and concerns. This was a great help and informative for myself and me friend.

Thanks.
    Fire Marshall
    Bill Burns
    Styxx

Indeed I did do a Christmas record in n-track with Garritan. I am not sure what the beef with N is, worked fine for me. I will say, it's sequencing abilities are basic and I did most of the sequencing in an old version of Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 I have had forever. But for the actual VST and audio, n-track has been just swell for me. Though, I have heard my share of horror stories too. I have never had issues with n-track on 4 different DAWs so far, so I am not sure where all the stability problems folks have come from. Though, in building any DAW, I always go for hardened hardware with proven drivers and I think a lot of folks are just slapping n-track on any machine next to "The Magic School Bus Under the Ocean" and Weatherbug. NOt to mentin, I also cram as much RAM in my DAWs as I can, especially for sample work. One large arrangement in GPO can eat up 2GB in a hurry if you let it. Just my 2 cents. As Marce said, download a trial and give it a shot. It may puke all over, or you may be pleasently surprised.

I don't quite get JBs dislike of the UI as I find it quite intuitive and easy to navigate (Unlike Cubase... ugh!).

No matter, no one will ever know what DAW package you used... I really don't get into the "my DAW is better than your DAW" wars as the proof is in the end result and I really don't care how anyone gets there.

For lower end MIDI/audio software, I didn't like ntrack much, either. I much preferred Tracktion, and you might also consider PG's Power Tracks, which has apparently improved quite a bit since I used it a few years ago.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

I used NTrack for awhile before I went to Sonar. It did a good job for the money I put into it, but didn't miss it much when I switched. Perhaps the MIDI functionality has come a long way since then, but I switched to Sonar specifically because NTrack just didn't jive with how I work.

I agree with Joseph about the whole workflow thing. I switched to Sonar and I found some things with that app to be unintuitive at first, but have now learned it to the point that I don't have workflow issues like I did in the beginning (plus there have been a lot of improvements between Sonar versons 1-5). I suppose had I stuck with NTrack the same would probably have happened eventually.

NTrack gave me a good opportunity to get my feet wet while I saved my $'s towards something else. The only stability problems I had turned out to be driver related and was able to resolve them. The NTrack forum at the time I used it was also probably the 2nd best forum I've been on (Garritan's being the best I've seen yet).

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jcbryson1
    NTrack gave me a good opportunity to get my feet wet while I saved my $'s towards something else. The only stability problems I had turned out to be driver related and was able to resolve them. The NTrack forum at the time I used it was also probably the 2nd best forum I've been on (Garritan's being the best I've seen yet).

Jon
    I agree with Jon, it's a nice way to get your feet wet and the program offers the 'beginner' a good place to start. It does not compare to Tracktion or Sonar, but was never intended to be that type of program. It's a nice little program for the beginning home studio musician.

- only my opinion, for what it is worth - I'd rather write music instead of reviews.

Go Back to forum