• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Piece, finally

Share/Bookmark

New Piece, finally

Hello everyone.

Sorry I haven't been on the chat much lately. I was given a piece to write and have completely done, in 10 days! Miraculously enough, I did it. Its called delusional self, and is a little more modern (whatever that means) than I usually get. I hope you like it. 100% GPO ;-)

http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/mp3/8/3/4/83425.mp3

Thumbs up Re: New Piece, finally

Hey, I'll say someone's been busy! Modern seems perfect enough of a description. I like it! Very unorthodox.
    Styxx

Re: New Piece, finally

Quote Originally Posted by Mattssound
    Hello everyone.

Sorry I haven't been on the chat much lately. I was given a piece to write and have completely done, in 10 days! Miraculously enough, I did it. Its called delusional self, and is a little more modern (whatever that means) than I usually get. I hope you like it. 100% GPO ;-)
    it has some VERY interesting ideas. it sounds almost like it has a sort of "ethnic" folksy sound to it. I particularly like the way that little motif tosses back and forth between the instruments at the end.

However, I'm curious as to why you would be given a limited amount of time to complete a piece? as in, what is the goal of the short time-span? are you in a music program geared towards movie music? (I can see short time frames as a requirement there)

From a more concert-oriented point of view, it seems almost counter-productive to give such a short time to "finish" a piece. (I like to have time to soak in the music, right up to my eyeballs, like a harmonic bubblebath... soak in the harmony and melodies til I'm all wrinkley and they HAVE to get put down on paper!)

Cool Re: New Piece, finally

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    From a more concert-oriented point of view, it seems almost counter-productive to give such a short time to "finish" a piece. (I like to have time to soak in the music, right up to my eyeballs, like a harmonic bubblebath... soak in the harmony and melodies til I'm all wrinkley and they HAVE to get put down on paper!)
    Oh, I completely agree. I AM in an M.M program, and my professor gave me info on a competition he thought I should enter. I said I would, but since I didn't have anything for this particular ensemble's instrumentation, I offered to write something. He said that would be great. ....2 days later he mentioned in passing that the deadline for entry was ten days away!

Hence my 50 yard dash to the double bar line. I would like to go back to it some time, but now I'm hip deep in a string quartet. It never ends!

MsP

Re: New Piece, finally

Well done, Matt!

Stylistically distinctive, and very well thought through and developed. A "50 yard dash", indeed! This is quite a good deal of very solid writing to turn out in ten days -- I'd still be on measure 7... lol.

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum