• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: HELP PLEASE! Education Discount for Logic Pro

Share/Bookmark

HELP PLEASE! Education Discount for Logic Pro

Hi there,

I know this probably repeats many past posts but would like to clarify something for myself properly.

I have just enrolled in a part time music course in London & was told that I would qualify for an educational discount through Apple to buy Logic Pro 7.
    I cannot afford the full retail cost so this is great news for my course.
    Only thing is, I just want to check if there is any difference in this software from the normal retail version & can I upgrade in the future as normal?
    Have browsed some past topics here & elsewhere & there are very conflicting opinions.

I ask, as I would like to save up in the future for libraries such as VSL & therefore want to make sure I can use thesee sample libraries as well as being able to upgrade Logic Pro where necessary. Also are there any other considerations I should take before buying an educational version?

Sorry about the mundane nature of the question but I really need to know this once and for all.

Many thanks in advance

Andrea

Re: HELP PLEASE! Education Discount for Logic Pro

I own Logic 6 and got it through an educational discount. It was the full version and I haven't had any problems upgrading to 7 or 7.1.

I got the Pro version. I assume the same applies to the Express version.

Call Apple help line.
    Steve Hanlon, guitarist/composer
    Logic 7, PowerMac DP 2.0 (8- RAM slot model), 4GB RAM, OS 10.4.11
    UAD-1 Ultra Pak
    Lots of V.I. and sound effects
    Apogee Rosetta 200
    Great River ME-1NV
    Blue Sky Monitors

No difference, same program. Although, you are not supposed to use it for commercial gain, just education.

Peace

rikp

Many thanks for your advice. Seem to answer the questions I had. Have now spoken to Apple who confirm that this is the full version of Logic Pro 7 & that once registered, I can upgrade to 7.2 (incidentally, do I need to do this if I am not running an Intel based Mac, or should I do it anyway?)
    So as I said, as long as I can upgrade in the future, well fantastic.

As far as the purpose it is used for, currently I can only dream of turning a profit, but it does of course beg the question how apple can enforce this if say someone like me buys their product genuinely as a student, but then goes on to start making money from it.
    Surely the main market for such products, if not established money-making musicians are students or aspiring musicians hoping to turn a profit in the future, therefore this rule does seem somewhat confusing?
    Would love to know your thoughts on this..

Many thanks

Andrea

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Caro
    Have now spoken to Apple who confirm that this is the full version of Logic Pro 7 & that once registered, I can upgrade to 7.2 (incidentally, do I need to do this if I am not running an Intel based Mac, or should I do it anyway?)
    Hi Andrea,

I think a brand-spanking new Logic should be the latest version 7.2 anyway.

Nick

-----------------------
    www.messhead.com

I would not upgrade to 7.2 unless you are running an intel based Mac. A lot of the third party plugs (if you own any) may not work. They have to be in universal format to work with 7.2. I have not upgraded with my G5 (still using 7.1) and the program is hummin' along.

Peace

rikp

I've upgraded to 7.2 on a non-Intel Mac and I've encountered no problems whatsoever with any third-party plug-ins.

If anything I've noticed an overall performance improvement.

Nick

Interesting to hear your point about 3rd party plug ins Nick, particularly as I was going to go on to ask about such things, like VSL for example and their compatibility with 7.2 and whether on a non-Intel Mac like mine, I should therefore upgrade Logic.

You seem to have answered the question though, methinks?

I indeed thinketh that I haveth answeredeth the question, forsooth!

VSL is a happy little orchestral bunny with 7.2 on my non-Intel G5, as it was with 7.1 and 7.0 before that.

Nick

Andrea - I enquired about an educational version of Logic Pro 7 and was told that I could only buy as an 'institution' (or through an institution's account), not as an individual student. Which company are you buying from and what price have you been quoted? - Thanks

Phil

Go Back to forum