• Help

Topic: 2nd Place at Artistweekly.com

Share/Bookmark

2nd Place at Artistweekly.com

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Well, I got 2nd place at Artistweekly.com

You can go here http://www.artistweekly.com/listen.sp

Song is called 'A Brisa (The Breeze)' It's down the list a ways, so scroll down.

Musicans:
    Brian Fullen - drums (brianfullen.com for solid drums via the internet)
    Jeffrey Wills - sax
    Leonard Patten - vocal
    Coral McFarland - vocal
    Rebecca Hanlon - flute
    Steve Hanlon - guitar
    Sampled Bass - err...bass

Hope you'll go listen to it and enjoy the wonderful musicians who graced the tune. I welcome any feedback to make my songwriting better. You can leave it here or at the artistweekly site.

Cheers,
    Steve Hanlon
    Steve Hanlon, guitarist/composer
    Logic 7, PowerMac DP 2.0 (8- RAM slot model), 4GB RAM, OS 10.4.11
    UAD-1 Ultra Pak
    Lots of V.I. and sound effects
    Apogee Rosetta 200
    Great River ME-1NV
    Blue Sky Monitors

Re: 2nd Place at Artistweekly.com

Nicely reminiscent of Segio Mendes especially in the 8ve vocals in the chorus.
    Lovely arrangement. Excellent Samba coda ( wish it was longer). And really nice guitar playing/sounds throughout.
    The only improvement I could suggest, would be to lose the congas in the coda, and replace with Shakers, Agogo, and Surdo, to fan the flames of Samba a little stronger.
    I am a Samba nut though, so perhaps I am being a little too purist about it.
    Very enjoyable.

regards Joe

Thank you very much, Joaz, for the feedback. All taken well.

And thank you for replying....started feeling lonely here. Thought maybe if I added sampled something-or-another, the comments would have come raining down. Maybe I should have made it a 'Real or Sampled' thread...
    UAD-1 Ultra Pak
    Apogee Rosetta 200
    Great River ME-1NV
    Blue Sky Monitors

Am no expert, and its not really my cup of tea (sorry), but I think its very well done & accomplished. Well done for your 2nd place.
    My advice musically, would be to add a little more 'edge' to it. A little grittiness. There is a great track by Jorge Ben called Xica da Silva, & another called Menina Mulher da Pele Preta. Both gorgeous, very different obviously, but they illustrate well what I mean in terms of sound & texture.

But, mainly well done first and foremost, particularly for the use of ACTUAL musicians. Coming from a live background myself, I was beginning to wonder if anyone actually played instruments anymore, or everyone was simply wired up to a 'mainframe' where their motor neuron synapses controlled the instruments.....

I kid, I kid.....

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Caro
    ...or everyone was simply wired up to a 'mainframe' where their motor neuron synapses controlled the instruments.....

I kid, I kid.....
    I wish, I wish....;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

congrats Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Caro
    My advice musically, would be to add a little more 'edge' to it. A little grittiness. There is a great track by Jorge Ben called Xica da Silva, & another called Menina Mulher da Pele Preta. Both gorgeous, very different obviously, but they illustrate well what I mean in terms of sound & texture.
    Much appreciated. I love specific feedback. I will definitely check these artists out to see what you mean.

And thanks, fitch! Funny I was just listening to the cello part you sent me long ago and wondering if that tune I wrote was ever going to make it out of the gate. You did some terrific playing on it. Now i just need to get myself in gear and put the guitar part down. It's only taken 4 years...I'm slow.
    UAD-1 Ultra Pak
    Apogee Rosetta 200
    Great River ME-1NV
    Blue Sky Monitors

LOL ... i remember that cello part .. it was a really cool one

the points go to you for writing such a beauty

Go Back to forum