• Register
  • Help

Topic: Are the pianos in Akoustik significantly better than those in Kontakt2?

Share/Bookmark

Are the pianos in Akoustik significantly better than those in Kontakt2?

Simple question. I installed Kontakt2 and the August Forester piano sounded quite good to me. Are the pianos in Akoustik significantly better sounding?

Thanks for the input.

Santo

Re: Are the pianos in Akoustik significantly better than those in Kontakt2?

Yes, but they don't work in Kontakt. Akoustik is based on an unreleased next version of Kontakt.

There are several problems with Akoustik (see their forum) and right now purchases are awaiting the update. I would strongly suggest holding off on the purchase until the dust settles.

Note that Akoustik has an extremely close sound, as in your head is stuck in the piano. It works for live playing, especially with a weighted keyboard, but can be annoying.

Ernie

Ernie,

Thanks for the info. I have purchased Akoustik, but I have not opened it. So, I could sell it on Ebay.

Do you think Sythology Ivory is a better choice. I've been reading through the various threads and Akoustik and Ivory are the two that seem to have more praise for realisim than the others.

Santo

Quote Originally Posted by santo
    Ernie,

Thanks for the info. I have purchased Akoustik, but I have not opened it. So, I could sell it on Ebay.

Do you think Sythology Ivory is a better choice. I've been reading through the various threads and Akoustik and Ivory are the two that seem to have more praise for realisim than the others.

Santo
    Don't have it (Ivory), Eric likes it, that's good enough for me. At this point, based on the reviews and NI having it's head immersed someplace it wasn't intended to be, I'd say that if you have to decide between the two then Ivory is the way to go. Just be aware of the memory requirements.

Ernie

I have also purchased Kontakt 2 as well as several sample pianos. My clear favorite is the PMI Hybrid piano #3. I know it is largely a matter of taste, and musical blending, but I think piano #3 sounds fantastic and plays well through Kontakt 2 (which I VST through Cubase SX3). The Hybrid pianos do require you download a few updates before they will work, and instructions for loading are extremely unclear, but doable.

I have not heard Ivory, but I can't imagine having a more realistic piano in my "music room" than those I have purchased through PMI.
    Dave
    David C. Deal, Ph.D.
    http://www.mixposure.com/song.php?songid=16965
    Pentium 3.0 Ghz, Cubase SX3, Kontact 2, Motu 2488, Korg Trinity, OW1 and "stuff"

PMI makes some excellent pianos. I highly recommend them.

Another one to check out is the Bardstown Bosendorfer (www.bardstownaudio.com).

I have Akoustik Piano and I really like it too. I don't have Ivory so can't really compare the two.

I too liked the pianos in Kontakt2 and I purchased PMI Bosendorfer290 in Kontakt2 format, then later, Synthogy Ivory Grand Pianos, of which the sound quality, 'feel', and playability I personally prefer.
    As others have said, of course the choices are very much down to personal preference, and I for one would certainly recommend considering 'Ivory'.

Brian

Go Back to forum