• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Topic: kind of blues - mp3

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    kind of blues - mp3

    Greetings from Sweden!
    I've just started to play the bass in a local band,
    and I'm working on a traditional blues arrangement for the band.
    It's JABB straight out from Sibelius and a bit of "live" drumming in my living room, my Squier Jazz Bass and some additional piano and organ, put together in Cubase.
    I'd be happy for comments and suggestions!

    It's meant to be a 'demo' for the band, with lots of space for solos.
    (And if anyone would like to take a chorus on the sax or whatever in A flat (Ab) I'd be more than happy... ).

    www.engsonmusic.se/viken/blues5.mp3

  2. #2

    Re: kind of blues - mp3

    Quote Originally Posted by engson
    Greetings from Sweden!
    I've just started to play the bass in a local band,
    and I'm working on a traditional blues arrangement for the band.
    It's JABB straight out from Sibelius and a bit of "live" drumming in my living room, my Squier Jazz Bass and some additional piano and organ, put together in Cubase.
    I'd be happy for comments and suggestions!

    It's meant to be a 'demo' for the band, with lots of space for solos.
    (And if anyone would like to take a chorus on the sax or whatever in A flat (Ab) I'd be more than happy... ).

    www.engsonmusic.se/viken/blues5.mp3
    The sounds from the brass and reeds are some of the best I've heard from JABB... the bass playing sounds pretty good too.

    The timing needs some work though. In particular some of the horn parts are coming in very late at times, and the drums have a rocky moment or two.

    Congrats on the sound. It's excellent. Just not sure about the timing.

    Rich

  3. #3

    Re: kind of blues - mp3

    Quote Originally Posted by dabbler

    Congrats on the sound. It's excellent. Just not sure about the timing.

    Rich
    Thanks for your comments!
    Yes, the timing is awful in some parts. I hear that now !
    Have to take another round behind the drums, I guess...

  4. #4

    Re: kind of blues - mp3

    Nice job on this, Engson.

    I'd agree the timing could use a second look.

    Fine chart!

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

  5. #5

    Re: kind of blues - mp3

    Thanks, David!
    I've been working on the timing...
    Here's a new version:
    www.engsonmusic.se/viken/blues7.mp3

    Hope that this one's better...
    Tomorrow we will try to play it IRL in the band!

  6. #6

    Re: kind of blues - mp3

    Just wanted to say that I've made a new version
    in a new key (G) that I hope is a bit better in timing.

    http://www.engsonmusic.se/viken/blues_new.mp3

    We also played the tune IRL tonight in the band,
    and it worked out allright.

  7. #7

    Re: kind of blues - mp3

    This latest version has definitely fixed the timing problems I was hearing in the horns.

    R.

  8. #8

    Re: kind of blues - mp3

    Very nice. Curious when you did the live drum parts. Before or after the other parts?

    Howard

  9. #9

    Re: kind of blues - mp3

    Quote Originally Posted by howardv
    Very nice. Curious when you did the live drum parts. Before or after the other parts?

    Howard
    The drums on the very last version (blues_new) are not live (should have said that, sorry). The drums are from Groove Agent, developed by Bornemark Software (www.bornemark.se).
    Never got my own drumming tight enough...

    I did the arrangement in Sibelius and imported to Cubase as MIDI and then I just let JABB play the parts straight from the MIDI file (no "live" playing on the brass and saxophone parts). Then I hired this Groove Agent (Mr Anderson we call him...) for the drums and added the bass and some piano parts on my Roland piano.

  10. #10

    Re: kind of blues - mp3

    Here's a new and (I believe/hope) a better version of my blues with additional guitar solo from a friend (MatsD, Sweden). Enjoy!

    www.engsonmusic.se/viken/engson_blues.mp3

    (I could use a 12/24 bar solo on a tenor or something...
    so if anyone is just sitting watching the tele... )

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •