• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Help! Mac user doing PC stuff!

Share/Bookmark

Help! Mac user doing PC stuff!

Hi Everyone

I JUST got my PC (to host my VSTi's)

Was installing GPO and on the third disc, it came up with an error message. It basically said that there was an installation file that was corrupted!!

So what do I do?

I am running P4 2.6 ghz 1.5 GB ram - Win XP pro

Any ideas? GPO installed great on the Mac side - but not with Windows.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Re: Help! Mac user doing PC stuff!

Should have stuck with a Mac.

Generally that means a bad read on the media. Check the disk for scratches and big fingerprints and try again.

While we're on the subject, what kind of virus protection software and spyware protection software are you installing on your PC? Have you downloaded all the Microsoft security updates through Windows Update?

In some cases virus protection software might cause an installation of PC software to fail, and it may be necessary to temporarily "snooze" or disable the virus protection software during the installation.

But I have no specific experience with trying to install GPO on a Windows XP box.

My music PC's are not internet connected. So no firewalls, no antivirus, no updates, no security issues.. I NEVER update Windows unless some piece of software won't run otherwise. I get software updates on another machine and burn them to CD.

I would guess there is a corrupt file on the media as well..perhaps dirty disc or a scratch.. sorry to hear it..that sucks.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

I got that kind of error with an install disc for SID XL. I used a motorized CD/DVD cleaner from Memorex and after a minute of scrub-a-dub in that unit - it loaded without a hitch. Oddly enough, manual cleaning didn't seem to help at all - only running it through the machine had any positive effect.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    My music PC's are not internet connected.
    Sadly I think this is the only way you're going to keep your PC virus free...
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    Hi Everyone

I JUST got my PC (to host my VSTi's)

Was installing GPO and on the third disc, it came up with an error message. It basically said that there was an installation file that was corrupted!!

So what do I do?

I am running P4 2.6 ghz 1.5 GB ram - Win XP pro

Any ideas? GPO installed great on the Mac side - but not with Windows.

Jerry
    Get ahold of DPDAN. I believe he has the same type of set up and can possible help you through. If not, we'll make 'em warlk thar plank, yong Harkinzzzzz. arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    My music PC's are not internet connected. So no firewalls, no antivirus, no updates, no security issues.. I NEVER update Windows unless some piece of software won't run otherwise. I get software updates on another machine and burn them to CD.
    I would just freaking love to have it that way! Some day I'm gonna, gonna, I tell you ... I am! You'll see! I'm gonna get me one of those big gigantic super computers and , and, and , rig it to the world! Then I will be able to control the minds of every one and soon be the . .. . eh, never mind.

Anyway Fred, smart way to go!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum