• Register
  • Help

Topic: Strange little piece, "Dungagan..."

Share/Bookmark

Strange little piece, "Dungagan..."

I wrote this as a last-minute submission for Skysaw's contest. Since it didn't make the finals I thought I'd post it here for your consideration --

Strange little piece in all sorts of fun odd meters. The title explains it all (officially my longest title, by the way):

Dungagan, or The Ancient Funerial Rite of the Indigenous Erkitoile Plainsmen, Wherein the Spirits of the Recently Departed are Forcibly Expelled from the World of the Living So That They Might Escape A Century's Peril in the Jaws of Dungaren the Soul-Chewer, Whose Recipe for Cornbread is Absolutely Delightful and You Really Ought To Try It Sometime

For the most part, this is played by native bone instruments, but I have approximated them to the best of my ability with GPO and JABB (within Skysaw's instrumentation limits):

Ulna Bone Flute (approximated with GPO - Piccolo Solo KS)
    Tibia Horn (JABB - Trumpet 5 KS)
    Ursal Tibia Horn (GPO -Tuba 1 Solo)
    Ossacoxa Fiddle (GPO - Violin 1 Gagli KS)
    Dungazell, a native double-reed instrument fashioned from an adult ribcage (JABB - Accordion)
    Arpa Cano'uvvi ("Cavemouth Harp") (GPO - Harp 1 KS Combo)

...and an old, broken Celesta left behind by Russian Missionaries (GPO - Celesta)

Comments/criticism welcome!

chris.

Re: Strange little piece, "Dungagan..."

I don't know why. But it reminded me of the Twilight Zone where all the dolls came alive. It definitely has it's place.

Don
    www.doncleary.com

Quote Originally Posted by doncleary
    I don't know why. But it reminded me of the Twilight Zone where all the dolls came alive. It definitely has it's place.

Don
    www.doncleary.com
    Wow, that brings up an odd bit of psychoanalysis. I actually have a weird, irrational fear of dolls, especially lifelike porcelain ones. And I generally trace my phobia back to seeing the "Talking Tina" episode of the Twilight Zone as a young child.

Here I write a piece of music 20-something years later, and the first and only comment is that it is reminiscent of that episode. Freud, eat your heart out!

Thanks for listening,
    chris.

O. K., Chris -

A little background about myself. Beside my modest attempts at composition, I so work in the healthcare field. I'm an ICU/CCU nurse.

Instruments named after bones is just a bit "unique" -

And VERY COOL!!!

I enjoyed the listen, Chris! Thank you for sharing this "Stange little piece"

Cheers!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Now this is a kick. Very original stuff. Reminded me of Stravinski on Schnapps and I mean that in a nice way. Thanks.
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Very interesting piece, Chris! Very effective, given the scenario.

Love the instrumentation/orchestration on this.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Awesome realization! Fascinating work. It is quite unlike much I have heard before, and to me it seems it is not trying to be "new" simply for the sake of "newness" ...

I think you really have something here. Well done!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by valhalx
    Now this is a kick. Very original stuff. Reminded me of Stravinski on Schnapps and I mean that in a nice way. Thanks.
    Bill
    Thanks Bill, I'm honored! Stravinsky is a hero of mine, and I can't say I mind Schapps either...

chris.

oooh, bizarrely buzzy, especially on headphones. Sometimes the idiomatic jazz performance nuances clashed with the classically oriented instruments, but this is pretty minor. I really found the ending quite expressive.

YBaCuO

I love the piece in all its raucous splendour. You get a lot of great mileage from these unusual instrumental combinations.
    regards

Go Back to forum