• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: To Awaken A Sleeping Giant (fanfare)

Share/Bookmark

To Awaken A Sleeping Giant (fanfare)

This is a concert fanfare I am working on for the Dallas Wind Symphony's April concert. It is straight out of Finale 2006 w/full GPO. I had some trouble getting percussion things to work right by editing continuous MIDI data so I took the easy way out in several places.

The piece was originally written for brass and percussion only in 2001; I have expanded it for full wind ensemble.

To Awaken A Sleeping Giant

- David

Re: To Awaken A Sleeping Giant (fanfare)

Fine job on this, David. I listened through this several times... very skillful, clear writing for the ensemble.

This is one of those pieces that, for me at least, it was important to hear three or four times. I don't think I quite "got" some of the subtleties until I did; and I hope others will do likewise.

I'd love to hear this performed live!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Reminds me of Gustov Holst a little. This would be a great band piece for high school bands. Send it to J.W. Pepper. Maybe they'll publish it.

Very enjoyable.

Don
    www.doncleary.com

Quote Originally Posted by doncleary
    Reminds me of Gustov Holst a little. This would be a great band piece for high school bands. Send it to J.W. Pepper. Maybe they'll publish it.

Very enjoyable.
    Glad you enjoyed it! I would love to have high school bands play it, but it's a solid grade 5 due to the demanding instrument ranges - I was going for maximum brilliance, especially at the end.

J.W. Pepper is a distributor/retailer, not a publisher. In any case, I am sort of down on the whole music publishing business right now and will probably self-publish for the foreseeable future. I have some published pieces already which have yielded disappointing results, and I just don't see the point in this day and age of signing away 90% of your creation in exchange for services you can perform yourself.

This is a great piece! I really enjoyed it. It has a lot of warmness, and the subtleties were very refreshing...not just the same 'ol kinda thing. I agree that this piece would NOT be suitable for a high school band, as it's quite complex in it's ranges. I know that if my high school band was given this piece, it would have been slaughtered we just couldn't play it. Congrats on getting it played by the Dallas Wind Symphony. That's very exciting and you must feel honored. (I know that I would anyway) Great Work!!

Every so often I find myself with some spare time to spend on the internet. When I do have this "spare time" I come here. I am soooo glad that this bulletin board exists for people to visit!

I get to hear some really nice compositions here!

Nice composition! Nice work. Great job with the sequencing.

I look forward to hearing more of your works!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Excellent piece, Dargason. I liked the way it opened softly then gradually took on the character of a fanfare. Nice work.
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Very strong piece -- It's nice to hear strong band literature that's written for serious musicians. There actually is a lot of really good band literature out there, but it just hasn't made it into the repertoire because so many people consider "band" a high school thing.

And the Dallas Wind Symphony! Congratulations, I couldn't think of a better ensemble to play your stuff--I have their recording of 'La Fiesta Mexicana' which has been a favorite of mine since way back in my high school all-state band.

I look forward to hearing the live version!
    chris.

Hi,

I really liked this. I liked how it build is way up. It didnt seem like you had it too hard like you said

Saldor

It will probably be a couple of months, but I will try to post the live recording on this thread as soon as I get it.

Thanks for listening, everyone!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast