• Register
  • Help

Topic: macbook pro?

Share/Bookmark

macbook pro?

I have had a rather disastrous time recently with the new G5 dual processor PowerMacs (Quads) and have had to send back two with logic board problems. I decided not to go for a third!

While waiting for the new intel line of powermacs to arrive I am considering a MacBook Pro. Can someone tell me if this machine is up to handling - fairly comfortably - orchestral samples (e.g. GPO, JABB, East West Gold). Programs I use are Sibelius, Nuendo, Protools. Is the 2 gig memory maximum a severe restriction compared to PowerMacs?

I am currently having to use a G4 PowerBook 1.67 Ghz with 1.5 gig RAM. This tries its best but definitely is NOT up to the task!

Any suggestions would be warmly appreciated. I intend to stick with the Mac platform, having been happy with it for 15 years!
    Sibelius, ProTools, Cubase
    on Mac OSX
    + plenty of coffee

Re: macbook pro?

I would be very careful to check the specifications of all the software that you intend to use with the manufacturers, as a lot of music software doesn't yet run on these machines.

D

most laptops can't handle streaming because the disc spins at 5700RPMs instead of 7500+ that most samplers require. That said - Garritan Personal Orchestra is designed to run on a laptop, but you're probably going to need at least 1GB to get a decent sized ensemble running (remember that it originally shipped without DFD - an intentional design choice).

I'll be the first to say it - just get a big, fast, desktop PC and be done with it.

Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Quote Originally Posted by henrymorris
    I have had a rather disastrous time recently with the new G5 dual processor PowerMacs (Quads) and have had to send back two with logic board problems. I decided not to go for a third!

While waiting for the new intel line of powermacs to arrive I am considering a MacBook Pro. Can someone tell me if this machine is up to handling - fairly comfortably - orchestral samples (e.g. GPO, JABB, East West Gold). Programs I use are Sibelius, Nuendo, Protools. Is the 2 gig memory maximum a severe restriction compared to PowerMacs?

I am currently having to use a G4 PowerBook 1.67 Ghz with 1.5 gig RAM. This tries its best but definitely is NOT up to the task!

Any suggestions would be warmly appreciated. I intend to stick with the Mac platform, having been happy with it for 15 years!
    Henry ,
    I'm studying and travelling in russia at the moment with a G4 laptop and a cut down set of sounds. That means making compromises regularly.
    Both Daryl and Houston have given sound advice.
    If you want a Mac, might be better to wait for the bugs to get ironed out.
    If you want to go at it in the meantime, a big, fast, PC would be ideal.
    And, if you want to get a Mac later on, the PC will be ideal as a slave for extra libraries, and able to cope.

Good Luck,

Alex.

Go Back to forum