• Register
  • Help

Topic: Artificial Vibrato?

Share/Bookmark

Artificial Vibrato?

I'm sure this idea has been tryed for years but I was wondering about vibrato, with strings in particular. When a violinist produces a vibrato it is only a pitch change or is it more than that? I was listeneing to a classical piece yesterday where the violin section played a half speed vibrato for a few notes. So, could one achieve something like that with a pitch change oscillator artificially?

Dave M

Re: Artificial Vibrato?

There are several conversations around here about the use of ribbon controllers for that very purpose.

It's not quite as simple as you might think, because vibrato modulates timbre and volume as well as pitch, so formants are involved which are hard to vary in real time.

All the same, a "hand -played" vibrato can bring a lot of expression to a MIDI/sampled part, whereas a stock LFO vibrato will swiftly sound cheesy, even to untrained ears. So the topic is worth pursuing.

I'm hoping/expecting that the newest generation of VI's (Kontakt scripting, Vienna Instruments) will bring some progress here.

Nigel

First, thanks for finally telling me who the heck VI was (lol). I always call them VSL, so I was saying to myself, "who the heck is VI?"

Now if someone could tell me what TBO stands for, the confusion will be over!

I agree that hand-played vibrato would be the most realistic and I would love to see that, for example, in sample collections such as KHSO Emerald (and could already be there - not sure) - where the mod wheel, pitch bender or some defineable controller (say from a control surface) could alter vibrato.

Mike

Now if someone could tell me what TBO stands for, the confusion will be over!

I agree that hand-played vibrato would be the most realistic and I would love to see that, for example, in sample collections such as KHSO Emerald
    I just found out this yesterday. "The Big One" (TBO) A piano sample. Regarding KHSO vibrato, The "4 Violins" disc that I received with Emerald has samples where you can fade vibrato and attack with the mod wheel. With Emerald you can use the mod wheel to add decay, swell, or decrease attack, depending on the sample.

Dave M

Go Back to forum