• Register
  • Help

Topic: short GPO piece I've been working on

Share/Bookmark

short GPO piece I've been working on

Hello all,

I haven't been here in while, thought I'd share some stuff I've been working on. Maybe get some feedback

takeoff.mp3 - All GPO and it's really a work in progress, still trying to get the brass to sound right... I'm in that frustrating stage where I can't hear the piece anymore.

Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks,

Ryan

Re: short GPO piece I've been working on

Some excellent writing in this, Ryan.

The brass in GPO can take some tinkering.

First, try different samples... there are a number to choose from in the brass.

Second, try "ensemble building", combining several of the samples to obtain the color and characteristics you want.

Third, it's often necessary to switch from one sample to another at points in the piece -- an "aggressive overlay" trumpet for instance, in a bright forte passage; but then one of the soli trumpets in a mix agains woodwinds; and so on. A single sample instance is unlikely to carry you through a piece of this range.

Hope that helps at least a bit!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hello Composer24,

This piece sounds good to me. Very rich and lots of luster. I have to agree with David. Try brining out some of those solo brass samples to fill in the void. You can even try adding some EQ to the brass to get that certain sound you are looking for.You could also try to layer the bassoon in it's upper register with the trumpets to help smooth it out. There are very many different things you could try.
    Balance and tone are the key.
    88fingers
    (The Nut )

www.waveav8.com

Hi Ryan,

I liked your piece. I don't have anything professional to add, because I'm kind of like a back yard mechanic when it comes to writing music, and am still new to GPO. The only thing I can say about the brass is that it didn't sound,,,, what I'll call,, real 'bright', but other than that it was good. Guess I'll have fun when I start trying to write for brass. huh?

Char.

Quote Originally Posted by composer24
    Hello all,

I haven't been here in while, thought I'd share some stuff I've been working on. Maybe get some feedback

takeoff.mp3 - All GPO and it's really a work in progress, still trying to get the brass to sound right... I'm in that frustrating stage where I can't hear the piece anymore.

Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks,

Ryan

Thanks for listening,

David and 88fingers, thank you, I really appreciate your comments. I have yet to really make use of the "ensemble building" that GPO offers. My usual practice is to load up one patch for the trumpets (in this case the overlay) and just play the parts in real time. I'm going to go back and layer more samples in.

Mezzo, yes the brass could use some more brightness, thanks. Hmm, some eq might fix that.

Well, back to work

Ryan

Go Back to forum