• Register
  • Help

Topic: The great Spectrasonics bass samples

Share/Bookmark

The great Spectrasonics bass samples

One of the best sounding demos I've ever heard included bass part based on
    The Bass Legends (complete library).

Some questions to Spectrasonics concerning these bass samples:

1. Are you going to publish The Bass Legends samples in Stylus RMX -format?

2. Are those Bass Legends samples (or some of the the "raw material" of these) included to the Trilogy?

3. Some of the Bass Legends sounds remind the Roland SR-JV80-10 Bass&Drum sounds, do some of these have the same basis?

Harry

Re: The great Spectrasonics bass samples

Ditto for Bizarre Guitar, will we ever see this lib in a VI? Or have we already, and I missed it?

There are bizarre guitar files in the bonus section of the RMX refills. Not sure if it's all of them, there's 14 there.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry_O
    One of the best sounding demos I've ever heard included bass part based on
    The Bass Legends (complete library).
    Cool! Which demo?

Some questions to Spectrasonics concerning these bass samples:

1. Are you going to publish The Bass Legends samples in Stylus RMX -format?
    You mean the phrases? The multisamples definitely would not work in RMX.

Probably best just to use ReCycle on them if you want those phrases in RMX.

2. Are those Bass Legends samples (or some of the the "raw material" of these) included to the Trilogy?
    No. Trilogy's completely different samples. Different player and more expressive/detailed sampling than Bass Legends.

Bass Legends is phrases plus multisamples, Trilogy is multisamples only...but with a dual layer synth-style playback engine.

Keep in mind that there's ten years difference in the development of the two products, so Trilogy is more advanced in a lot of ways.

However, it's good to know that Bass Legends - which was our very first library from '93 - still holds up so well. :-)

3. Some of the Bass Legends sounds remind the Roland SR-JV80-10 Bass&Drum sounds, do some of these have the same basis?
    Yes. We licensed some of the "baby versions" of Bass Legends to Roland for that board. The original versions on the Bass Legends CD-ROM are far superior in quality and variety.

Quote Originally Posted by musicjon
    Ditto for Bizarre Guitar, will we ever see this lib in a VI?
    Not too likely...it's a great library that you can already use with software samplers like Kontakt/GIGA/EXS, etc

Or have we already, and I missed it?
    Nope. It's one of the "hidden gems" in our catalog. A lot of famous composers swear by it, but it's not nearly as well known as our other titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder
    There are bizarre guitar files in the bonus section of the RMX refills. Not sure if it's all of them, there's 14 there.
    Nah...that's just a spec of the original material....like less than 1% of the library. The ambiences and the Bowed Guitar multisamples are incredible.

You actually hear them all over the place in soundtracks.

Eric I actually prefer the electric bass samples in Bass Legends that those in Trilogy which are more flexible etc and all of that...
    maybe it is just my roland sampler filter and DA's.....

rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

The Roland's are the best sounding samplers ever...no doubt. That does play a big factor. BL sounds quite different playing back from an EXS24 or Kontakt.

But of course Bass Legends is a whole different sound than Trilogy too. Marcus, John and Abe have very distinctive sounds that can't really be replicated by any other player.

I still like the Bass Legends Electric's too, but I wouldn't ever trade the Acoustic of Trilogy for the one in BL. Also, there are many great Electrics in Trilogy (like the fretless!) that I would never want to give up.

Use both! :-)

I do :-)
    couldn't agree with you more on the Acoustic Basses on the Trilogy.
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

[QUOTE=spectrum]Cool! Which demo?

Probably best just to use ReCycle on them if you want those phrases in RMX.

Trilogy's completely different samples. Different player and more expressive/detailed sampling than Bass Legends.

Bass Legends is phrases plus multisamples, Trilogy is multisamples only...but with a dual layer synth-style playback engine.

However, it's good to know that Bass Legends - which was our very first library from '93 - still holds up so well. :-)

QUOTE]

I referred to the demo I heard in one studio workshop a couple of years ago,
    unfortunately I don't have it. Although the Trilogy is more technically advanced, the Bass Legends (electric bass) samples (as much I've heard these) are very fresh-sounding, with most great ambience-feeling (I don't say
    Trilogy sounds are not). The time hasn't changed the attraction of the
    Bass Legends.

I don't own the ReCycler, that's why I asked about the RMX-format;
    do you think you could re-publish "The Bass Legends+" for the RMX?

Harry

I am obviously not eric :-)

do you already own Bass Legends?

if they did, I assume it would be a minimum of $99, but I dont' think they are enough loops to make it a xpander alone.

isn't recycle $140? ok apparently it is $199...

so if you already own Bass Legends it may be in the long run, more cost effective to buy recycle and chop them up yourself.

my 0.02c

rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------

Go Back to forum