• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Symphony in C

Share/Bookmark

Symphony in C

this is a rather lengthy work (around 30 minutes) played without pause normally but here divided into 3 files for ease of DL.

4 "movements"

I - Moderato - Allegro - Maestoso
    II - Cadenza - Scherzo
    III - Adagio mesto
    IV - Ricercare

1st movement
    http://evensongmusic.net/audio/qccow...ardSymMvt1.mp3

2nd movement
    http://evensongmusic.net/audio/qccow...ardSymMvt2.mp3

3rd and 4th movements
    http://evensongmusic.net/audio/qccow...dSymMvt3+4.mp3

hope you enjoy it as much as I did writing this.

Re: Symphony in C

BRAVO!......

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    BRAVO!......
    thank-you

/bows

I can honestly say that I'm VERY proud of this piece.
    I'm shopping it around to the local symphonies, unfortunately, the market is VERY competitive and orchestra management is terribly retiscent when it comes to new works, whether they're avant-garde or not.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    thank-you

/bows

I'm shopping it around to the local symphonies, unfortunately, the market is VERY competitive and orchestra management is terribly retiscent when it comes to new works, whether they're avant-garde or not.
    Folks, I've followed Michel's works for about 6 years now, and I must say this is the best I've ever heard from him...

The harmonies may not be romantic, but the EMOTION of this work is very much so.... this is a modern work for people who don't like modern works... it is a WONDERFUL half hour of expressive music.

<side note to Mr. G - THIS WORK IS A perfect showcase of what a properly marked score can produce in Finale - if I heard this before buying the Finale 2006/GPO combination, it would convince me for SURE!>

Bravo Molto

this is a rather lengthy work (around 30 minutes) played without pause normally but here divided into 3 files for ease of DL.

4 "movements"

I - Moderato - Allegro - Maestoso
    II - Cadenza - Scherzo
    III - Adagio mesto
    IV - Ricercare

1st movement
    http://evensongmusic.net/audio/qccow...ardSymMvt1.mp3

2nd movement
    http://evensongmusic.net/audio/qccow...ardSymMvt2.mp3

3rd and 4th movements
    http://evensongmusic.net/audio/qccow...dSymMvt3+4.mp3

hope you enjoy it as much as I did writing this.
    Well, you must have had a lot of funvwriting it! This is excellent - a very moving work. I wish you the best of luck in getting it performed - unfortunately the best career move one could make is to have died 150 years ago... The lack of interest in living composers is sad: when I hear some works like this, like David's (aka EtLux), I can only thank the internet for allowing me - and others - to hear such vibrant, new music. Otherwise, where would this piece be? In a nicely printed Finale file. At least here you have an audience.
    This is a very fine accomplishment - I hope many others on this forum will give it a listen. Thank you for sharing it with us. As the others before me said, Bravo!

R. Pearl

Fantastic work!

I am particularly fond of the third movement. Unabashedly lush and romantic. Nostalgic and haunting. Parts of this remind me of Berg, Resphigi, Mahler, but somehow has a bit of 1940s Hollywood score feel to it as well.

Very nice realization as well. I hope more people get to hear this piece.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Wow. really nice symphony. You should be proud of such an acopmplishment. that was a lot of work, but you finished it well. the piece is well constructed, beautiful, complete, and thorough. One question, are you saying that this piece is avant-guard, or is not?

thank-you

/bows

Quote Originally Posted by conwaylemmon
    Wow. really nice symphony. You should be proud of such an acopmplishment. that was a lot of work, but you finished it well. the piece is well constructed, beautiful, complete, and thorough. One question, are you saying that this piece is avant-guard, or is not?
    LOL
    no, this is definatately not avant-garde.
    the market here is very strange. The main symphony orchestra will play local composers IF they are avant-garde, but will play new major works by non-Canadian composers that are NOT avant-garde (outright tonal and romantic, actually). It's as if they know that non-avant-garde music works well with the audience, but are afraid to anger the avant-garde establishment in the local community.

for a composer of "romantic" music it's nearly impossible to be performed here... unless you're a big-name American.

I don't rightly knw how to classify my music. it's obviously "new", it carries all the baggage of the last 100 years, yet it's not "experimental". I work very hard at my own harmonic language, my own treatment of polyphony and counterpoint. It's not quite "tonal" (in any strict sense) but certainly not "atonal" (by the WIDEST definition!).

Well. Ahem. Obviously:

This is neo-avante-garde post-Romantic pseudo-Modernistic Expressionism with Impressionistic overtones.

For heaven's sake, I'd really rather just listen than count angels on the head of a pin.. lol.

Which I have done for a second time, Michel (listen, that is)!

Once again, my applause and appreciation of a truly fine work!

With admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

LOL
    no, this is definatately not avant-garde.
    the market here is very strange. The main symphony orchestra will play local composers IF they are avant-garde, but will play new major works by non-Canadian composers that are NOT avant-garde (outright tonal and romantic, actually). It's as if they know that non-avant-garde music works well with the audience, but are afraid to anger the avant-garde establishment in the local community.

for a composer of "romantic" music it's nearly impossible to be performed here... unless you're a big-name American.

I don't rightly knw how to classify my music. it's obviously "new", it carries all the baggage of the last 100 years, yet it's not "experimental". I work very hard at my own harmonic language, my own treatment of polyphony and counterpoint. It's not quite "tonal" (in any strict sense) but certainly not "atonal" (by the WIDEST definition!).

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Well. Ahem. Obviously:

This is neo-avante-garde post-Romantic pseudo-Modernism.
    THANK-YOU!
    I've been trying to find a good name for it for ages!!!!!
    although I WAS hoping for the word "expressionst" somewhere in there...

OH! and I'd like to correct a minor error - I stated there was no tweaking outside of Finale 2006, this is still true, but I DID however use Finale 2006's MIDI tool to get proper playback of the strummed pizzicato triple and quadruple stops. Other than that, however, everything is simply notated directly into Finale. I didn't adjust any other MIDI data, simply got playback using Robert P.'s HumanPlayback (set to "Romantic"),

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast