• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help for GPO Newbies

Share/Bookmark

Question Help for GPO Newbies

Hi Everybody,

I'm new to the world of GPO. I've had it for about a month now and I'm still amazed at the sounds I get out of it! I'm wondering if any of you accomplished composers/orchestrators would be willing to give us Newbies a "Behind-The-Scenes" look at some of your compositions?

I'm talking about not only the mp3 version of your composition (like we can hear in the Listening Room), but also letting us see your midi version so we can see exactly how you created the sounds/textures, etc.?

I'm thinking of something along the lines of the "Master Class" tutorials, but with an entire piece? Single instrument (ie piano, harpsichord) pieces are fine, but personally I'm interested in orchestral pieces.

I've looked around the forum and so far haven't found anything like this. I would think this type of information would benefit everyone on the forum, but especially those of us who are just learning our way around GPO.

Are there any takers.....?
    Music should strike fire from the heart of man, and bring tears from the eyes of woman.
    ~ Ludwig Van Beethoven

Re: Help for GPO Newbies

Hi KBH 123,
    sharing a project is not a problem for me, but it would have to be the actual "DAW" file. A midi file will only show the midi. That is only half the story, the other half is sound.

If you use Digital Performer I would be happy to share some files with you,
    otherwise you will only get part of the picture.

Dan

I think this would be a great idea for the Academy...I would be interested in seeing anything in the Cakewalk formats (Home Studio, Sonar 4, Sonar 5).

Is it possible to translate between the various DAW formats?
    ;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

DPDan,

Currently I'm running Sonar (version 4) Producer Edition. I also have Overture SE that came bundled with GPO. Not sure how your format would translate over into either of these?

southportJim,

I thought I probably wasn't the only one who would benefit from this type of info. I don't know if translation between DAW formats is possible though...?
    Music should strike fire from the heart of man, and bring tears from the eyes of woman.
    ~ Ludwig Van Beethoven

Well, it's been almost a week and no takers yet...except for DPDan that is!
    I guess this wasn't as popular an idea as I thought it was...
    ~ Ludwig Van Beethoven

The idea is okay, just hard to implement due to incompatible formats.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    The idea is okay, just hard to implement due to incompatible formats.
    yep, that could be fixed if everyone used DP

Dan, I've heard a lot about your talent and eagerly read the posts where you give suggestions. Maybe if you get the time, a video tutorial of your technique would benefit all GPO users, not just newbies. I'm sure the things you do in DP could be replicated in other sequencers. I for one would appreciate your teachings very much!

Chinmay

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Hi KBH 123,
    sharing a project is not a problem for me, but it would have to be the actual "DAW" file. A midi file will only show the midi. That is only half the story, the other half is sound.

If you use Digital Performer I would be happy to share some files with you,
    otherwise you will only get part of the picture.

Dan
    Hey Dan,

I would LOVE to see some DP Project files. I'm still at DP 4.1.2, but will be upgrading hopefully soon.

Let me know if that would work.

Thanks,
    El

Go Back to forum